port an pollish

MY Cobra

Mar 22, 2004
Franklin NC
I was thinking of having this done. When i was at a local shop the guy was telling me i could gain a lot by doing this. What kinda gains would i get out of my 99 if i went with a p&p and what is done here? Sorry i am new to this stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

I assume you are talking about the heads....there's lots to do before you worry about that. Makes no sense to make it easier to inhale, if you can't exhale any better. And if you are going to rip into the heads, might as well do cams....gets expensive.

A port and polish is one of the last things to do on an N/A car. Usual results are in the area of 10-15hp on a full bolt on car, less on yours(maybe none?). You need full exhaust before you do the heads...aka headers, mid-pipe, cat-back.

I have: Pullies, Mac cat back system and off road x pipe, cold air induction. I Dunno what i should do next. I do not want to flop down the cash for a blower. if i do that i might as well just get a 03 cobra. lol imo

MY Cobra said:
I have: Pullies, Mac cat back system and off road x pipe, cold air induction. I Dunno what i should do next. I do not want to flop down the cash for a blower. if i do that i might as well just get a 03 cobra. lol imo

You don't need to port and polish. You will not gain much, and whatever you will gain you will not be able to feel. Plus, it will be a lot of money. The guy is telling you that you will gain a lot because he wants your business. He probably doesn't have any clue what he is talking about. Honestly, if you want more power for less cash, have a Mustang tuner facility install a nice and safe nitrous system. I know that people that are new to Mustangs, or fast cars, think that nitrous is bad and will blow your motor. This is entirely untrue, unless you bolt a huge shot of it on your car, or just have a simple mistake such as an over aggressive or under aggresive tune. A 75 or 100 shot will be great with a safe tune and good fuel system. I have rode in many cars with nitrous, and have seen a few of them get dynoed and the kits out now days work well, and add a substainal amount of horsepower to your car. Don't let nitrous scare you because of the movie "The Fast and The Furious", nitrous doesn't work like that. It works off of a WOT (wide open throttle) switch. See ya later..Good luck!

sounds good. The guy at the shop said i would see over 80 rwhp :bs: how much does juice cost? are there any advantages of wet vs dry ? i do not know much about it. I just know that almost all of the ricers use it so i was kinda scared to turn my cobra in to somethign with some neons and stupid buzzing sound.

Im thinking off gettin the heads and intake ported on my 99 4v. Foxlakeracing would do the port job. I would also order my cams from them as well.

I just have full exhaust and a/c delete on my car. How much hp will i gain with just that n/a set-up? I'm also going to spray a 150 dry, tuned.

MY Cobra said:
sounds good. The guy at the shop said i would see over 80 rwhp :bs: how much does juice cost? are there any advantages of wet vs dry ? i do not know much about it. I just know that almost all of the ricers use it so i was kinda scared to turn my cobra in to somethign with some neons and stupid buzzing sound.

NO, you won't see 80rwhp. You might see 20-30, and that won't be enough to feel, and who knows if he could get your motor back together correctly, that thing is made of a lot of peices. Anyways, Nitrous will run around 500-600 bucks for a good kit plus install and tuning. I don't know enough about it to tell you the difference between wet and dry, but I believe one of them is undetectable when you use it, because it doesn't puff smoke out the exhaust. Also, don't think about nitrous as being a ricer thing, there are many fast cars out there that use nitrous. Look into the renegade cars, those guys will use 400-500 shot of nitrous!! hehe, and run 9's and 10's. anyways, just make sure that the shop has a good reputation and has tuned mustangs before, because that is the most important. Have fun!!

Question.......

my 93 Cobra basically has all the bolts on from the factory. Event the GT-40 heads and obiviously the Cobra intake. Would I can anymore by port and polishing my heads and intake more?