Port And Polished Heads

• Sponsors (?)

that dsi manifold actually doesnt exist...trust me... talked to both brothers of bbk about it...its never coming out....straight out of kenny's mouth "we have never been past prototypes because we dont have the amount of people to do production on the intake manifold. As soon as we get another person to cover that project then we will start producing the manifold." aka "we have 3 actual manifold out and we will never ever produce the real manifold even though its been advertised for 7 years."

i have very good connections with bbk and trust me, hell will freeze over and monkeys will piss gold before that thing comes out...sucks though cause its a bad ass intake manifold and it would probably give you great performance

oh and to the OP, im pobably not going to get my car tuned today either....my tuner has to go to walmart :nonono:

Did you already pay him?

I know the feeling, when I was trying to get my car tuned it took 3 weeks to get into him. Then I messaged him 6 months later asking him for a simple tune change. SVT focus pumps to GT pumps, it's been almost 2 weeks of waiting. He said he'll e-mail me the tune but is taking his sweet little time.

I was going to guy to him again for another tune, but F that. I'm buying the pro racer package and as cartman would say, he can "suck my balls"

What he's doing to you is wrong. He knows you need a tune to get your car running in good condition, yet he doesnt care and keeps blowing you off. One of these days tuners will be no longer needed. All a tuner does it look at the logs and figures out what to do from there. I can't wait for the day a computer program and read those same logs and tune accordingly. That way all those Crappy ass dyno tuners can get lost. There are good ones out there, but that seems to be a 1/10 ratio.before my first tune i had 5 tuners cancel on me. As soon as it happens i went somewhere else since i don't support bad customer service. Sometimes its best to do things your self.

I cant believe he half assed your tune, then didn't finish it and felt shopping at walmart was more important than fixing your tune. Honestly if you paid, I would ask for all you money back and tell him your going elsewhere. By law he didn't complete the work so he shouldn't get paid for it. If you didnt pay, go somewhere else. Then if he calls you to come in, tell him to go find his customers at walmart.

yes i paid for my tune already... i paid what he charged to do the initial tune then after that according to him they are free if you change anything or need anything re tuned. The day i got my first tune he half assed it then said come back later and well get it finished...been getting the run around ever since... so im cutin my losses and going elsewhere.... hopefully ill be getting a new tune next week so we can se what ported pi heads will do with hitechs...

trombone that's funny cause i thought of that earlier....surprised walmatr doesnt have a "tuning" center yet lol

I might be wrong but I have always heard that it is not a good idea to polish heads on the modular engines because it reduces turbulence thereby reducing flow and causing a loss of horsepower and torque. I can't explain all the specifics but the modular engines benefit from airflow turbulence and reducing that turbulence is not good for optimal power output. I always notice that companies port the modular heads but they never claim to actually polish them. The "old school" pushrod heads have always responded very well to porting AND polishing but the modular engines are quite different. If the OP actually did port and polish those heads then this may be why he didn't get the results he should have. Has anyone else ever heard this...??

yes i paid for my tune already... i paid what he charged to do the initial tune then after that according to him they are free if you change anything or need anything re tuned. The day i got my first tune he half assed it then said come back later and well get it finished...been getting the run around ever since... so im cutin my losses and going elsewhere.... hopefully ill be getting a new tune next week so we can se what ported pi heads will do with hitechs...

trombone that's funny cause i thought of that earlier....surprised walmatr doesnt have a "tuning" center yet lol

Haha earlier i wasn't trying to say walmart should open a tuning center lol. I was saying since he blows off his customers for walmart then he should go find his new customers at walmart lol.

Did you pay by credit card? If so do a charge back. He didn't finish he job, so its your right to get your money back. It's especially wrong since he kept making promises to fix the issue then he blows you off for walmart. If you paid by cash or debit card I would sue him on judge judy. Can you imagine what judge judy would say to him after he tells her he blew you off for walmart! She would already be mad that the job wasnt finished the same day as you paid.

One thing I've learned. Never pay before any service is finished. Once they have your money, tune or mechanic then tend to sit on it or blow you off because they already have your money.

haha i know but i can actually see wal marts opening dyno centers...they own the whol planet anyway lol

and yeah, i paid cash the first time thinking that he was going to do the tune then be done with it and go back to what he does...but thats not how it happened...if i would have ever thought he'd blow me off after he left and told me to come to his shop later in the day i would have never even pad him ya know...

i really hope this whole head porting thing is a myth cause ill be depressed if my 273hp #'s are actually correct :nonono:

I might be wrong but I have always heard that it is not a good idea to polish heads on the modular engines because it reduces turbulence thereby reducing flow and causing a loss of horsepower and torque. I can't explain all the specifics but the modular engines benefit from airflow turbulence and reducing that turbulence is not good for optimal power output. I always notice that companies port the modular heads but they never claim to actually polish them. The "old school" pushrod heads have always responded very well to porting AND polishing but the modular engines are quite different. If the OP actually did port and polish those heads then this may be why he didn't get the results he should have. Has anyone else ever heard this...??

I've never been a fan of "polishing" myself. I think a rough surface in the runners may actually be a good thing as it helps form a boundary layer between the port wall and the airflow.

Prime example of why: Golf balls travel as far as they do because of their dimpled surfaces. Dead-smooth golf balls wouldn't travel nearly as far due to air resistance.

I'd like to see a port with dimple-features machined into it and how it would flow compared to a super smooth and polished port.

As for turbulence, I don't know if that's ever a good thing for port or runner flow but when you induce turbulence into the chamber it sure helps with emission control. That's one reason the PI and NPI heads have those little "dams" in the combustion chamber. They're there to give the mixture motion which helps ensure more complete combustion. Removing them, however, may reduce the impediment to getting A/F into the chamber in the first place.

See now i've always heard that polishing the intake side of heads is a bad thing because it doesn't let fuel mix properly with the air, but i wouldn't see why the exhaust would matter? You would think the faster the exhaust could escape the better or more power you could make? And the guy from Hitech told me that mild porting on intake side is ok but if you even touch the exhaust ports thats when you start losing power... or at least with thier stage II's... :shrug:

I've never been a fan of "polishing" myself. I think a rough surface in the runners may actually be a good thing as it helps form a boundary layer between the port wall and the airflow.

Prime example of why: Golf balls travel as far as they do because of their dimpled surfaces. Dead-smooth golf balls wouldn't travel nearly as far due to air resistance.

I'd like to see a port with dimple-features machined into it and how it would flow compared to a super smooth and polished port.

Wow. That is a really good point that I hadn't ever thought about. But it makes perfect sense. That would be a good comparison to see side by side.

Got a customer with Hitech Stage 2 cams that ran low 12's on stock heads in cold weather and now runs just slightly better times with my ported heads in warm weather. Once it cools down again we should finally see the elusive 11.xxxxxxxxx