port size, what rpm range?

muh'stang

If I were rich, I'd make sure all the scoops on my
Sep 26, 2003
Quesnel, B.C., Canada
I have an '85 302. Im undersizing & offset grinding the crank to accept 5.2" rods, leaving me with about 317cid. The heads I want to use are from a 351w, car. They have 1.94"X1.76" intake ports, and 1.24"x1.04" exhuast ports. The 302 heads have a 1.94"x1.04" intake port, and identical exhuast port. What rpm should I try to make my power at? ill hope to run a slightly overstock cam, but things change.

• Sponsors (?)

I live in BC Canada.
Thanks for all the input, Im actually going EFI with Speed Density. Now I know the stock stuff pretty much cuts out around 275 horse. That part is easy to upgrade, however I would like to have a long block ready to achieve 350~ rwhp so I do not have to take it all apart again. I am going to use an 80s model SROD 4 speed manual transmission. My car is a 1987, I posted in here because you guys know how to make an engine run without thousands of dollars in bolt-ons that barely do any good.
I dont know what size valves yet, but for kicks lets say I use the stock ones....are you still reccommending the comp cams 282s? (that was a Comp. Cams product right?)
I used to think that the bigger the ports the more power you have all around. Then I learned that well in alot of cases some heads will hurt your "street" performance, as well as some cams. So Im in left field wandering around lost, thanks for the help.