ported lower or higher stall

billpo

Apr 4, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Guys. I have an 89 gt vert AOD with 3:73's, shift kit, cat back and timing advanced to 14. I am looking to do another mod, but can only do one of the 2 for now.
Should I get my lower intake ported or a higher stall for my AOD.
What will give me the biggest bang for the buck?

Thanx.
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

tmoss said:
as far as not "noticing" ~ 50cfm improvement in flow by porting a stock lower - :rolleyes: - we got some real experts here........

I assume that was directed to my comment. I guess I should clarify my comment a bit. I was referring to not noticing a big decrease in et or sotp. the stall would make a much larger NOTICEABLE gain. Ultimately you'd want to do both. Not knocking your work TMOSS, I've heard nothing but good things about you.:nice:

The two options aren't really comparable -- the stall is gonna cost a LOT more in parts and labor. And, if it's a street driven car, you should probably add the cost of an incremental tranny oil cooler to the install as the increased slippage that comes with the stall really works on the fluid.

If i have learned one thing from modding my stang, it would be to do it right the first time. What are your longterm goals for the car? do u wanna get in the 11's or 12's or do u wanna just have nice street car that $h/ts on most cars out there? Honestly i wouldnt spend the cash on porting the stock lower. I understand tmoss can do some amazing things w/ the stocker for just over 100 bucks but you can also port an explorer intake that u can pick up for cheap and be flowing way more air and pick up a couple tenths in your ET. Also i wouldnt spend the money on an off the shelf stall b/c you really arent maximizing your setup and you'll be leaving something on the table. This is a tuff call, i would save the $$ and buy a nice intake and have that ported....or save your $$ and buy a nice stall from edge. Also micheal yount mentioned a very good point...dont install a TC without a cooler, your just asking for trouble. Good luck man

When I ran a 3,000 stall in front of 4:10 gears, I ran the transmission cooling only on a properly sized oil cooler and did not run the line through the radiator tank - no sense throwing converter heat in the radiator.