Porting stock throttle body...

Skoobie

Damn...Tyler65's hot!
May 25, 2003
Vancouver, WA
...is it worth it? A while back I purchased a 70mm EGR spacer (great deal $15) in anticipation of getting a 70mm TB. Well a year later Im slowly discovering that my one year old daughters needs are not allowing me the funds to realize these dreams. Well I was in the garage today looking at the space and decided, hell with it, im putting it on. I matched it up to the TB and drew a circle with a sharpy to see how much of a lip there was...well theres a pretty damn big lip. hehe I started taking my dremel to the intake side of the TB and 3hrs later and countless grinding bits destroyed I got it smoothed out. The fender side has even more material to remove (I have a C&L power pipe) to make it match to the intake pipe. What I want to know is if its worth the time, money, and heart ache to grind down the other side of the TB? Will I even see a differance? :shrug:

:EDIT: Just for background info I have a 76mm MAM, C&L power pipe, stock TB, ported Explorer upper, ported GT-40 lower, ported GT-40 irons, 1.6RR, and an E cam.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I don't know that taking a dremel to it was the smartest of ideas but your into it already, might as well finish it. I had a 70mm TB and I knew a guy that worked at a machine shop that bends pipes and stuff like that and he put it on a bench and honed it out for me for free. Took him like 10 min. Maybe there is a place like that near your area? Only problem that I ran into was the gasket. Of course it was going to need to be modded so that there wasn't a **** load of gasket hanging inward. To end the statement, just do it man!

I wasent doing a full port. I just wanted to smooth out that lip where the TB meets the EGR spacer. Which I suceeded. Everything seems to run ok so far. I drove it almost an hour but it was raining so I couldnt get on it to test if the porting did anything. Im guessing its not gonna show any improvement until i do the front side. We'll see I guess.

Well here are the results. You guys were right though; there isnt much material to work with on the fender side of the TB. I was taking VERY little material off in the last steps. The last thing I wanted to do was JB weld a hole :p But it all turned out well in the end and now I have some porting exp under my belt...although its far from perfect as you can see from the nicks here and there :D
tb1.jpg

tb2.jpg

tb3.jpg

Theres a lip on the inner edge that I wanted to get to but my dremel wont reach. Need to get a flex shaft for it...too bad they cost as much as the dremel :rolleyes: We'll see how this works, if I see an improvement then Ill take the time to do it.

i agree, all you did is kinda like gasket matching. You may have prevented it from being just straight out blocked, to flowing into the the throttle body but either way its going to be held back at the 65mm opening at the butter fly. Pretty cool, but you shouldnt feel a thing.

I've done that before. But I also knife edged the TB blade, polished it and cut the end of the bolts off. Dynoed it against a 65mm FRPP and a 70mm BBK. All within 1 HP of each other.

Heres a couple of pics of the blade on one of my other TB's. It's a 65 mm FRPP with knife edged blade and cut bolts.

111516.jpg

You could cut your finger on this.
111515.jpg

For finishing that edge off smooth I used this. It worked great! :nice:

stuff031.jpg

Foxfan88 said:
those 2 screws are all that hold the plate on right?
i will need to try and sharpen the blade. looks fun and i love tinker with this like that.

Yes, but you trim the back side where they stick out, not the front side with the phillips head.

seijirou said:
Did you knife edge both sides of the butterfly?
No, just the incoming side.