possible Cobra 5.0 engine swap?!?!

I just tore off the intake manifold and valve covers to do a GT40 intake swap and came across crane 1.7 roller rockers that are factory on 93-95 cobra's. On further inspection of the heads seem to have larger intake runners than I remembered of stock E7 heads.
Is there any way to tell if I have a GT40 style heads by a visible casting number or do I have to take the heads off to find out??

Also, is there a different block casting for the Cobra 5.0?? It is possible that someone did a transplant .

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I just tore off the intake manifold and valve covers to do a GT40 intake swap and came across crane 1.7 roller rockers that are factory on 93-95 cobra's. On further inspection of the heads seem to have larger intake runners than I remembered of stock E7 heads.
Is there any way to tell if I have a GT40 style heads by a visible casting number or do I have to take the heads off to find out??

Also, is there a different block casting for the Cobra 5.0?? It is possible that someone did a transplant .

Thanks

GT should be cast onto the head,between the rocker arms and the cornor of the head.

the Cobra block should be the same as the gt block,IIRC.

Posted via Mobile Device

Davis3 is dead on. The shortblock is identical on all 94-95's. The Cobra's basically have a H/C/I swap over the GT with a better tune in the computer. Take a look at these photos from my Cobra conversion. Branted, my heads are painted red w/ black headlights, but you can see the GT40-specific markings.

This first photo shows the "GT" in the right corner of the heads. This is the driver's side cylinder head, the passenger side will have "GT" right next to the alternator.

gt_painted_1.jpg

I don't have a photo, but the letters "GT" are in between the 2nd and 3rd rockers, I believe. The ends of the heads have three lines, highlighted in black in this pic:

gt_painted_2.jpg

Pretty cool. I imagine the cobras are a bit faster from the factory considering the tune and H/C/I. I wonder what they run stock? I remember reading when the first LT1 maro came out and they had a shootout between the 93' cobra and it. The 93' ran a 14.6 and the maro ran a 14.0. I personally think the 93's would do a lot better than that and maybe the magazine was trying to sell z28;s...