Possible driveshaft length issue

Sicarius428

Jan 6, 2004
Hello. Little history on the car... I have a cobra IRS and a TKO600(about an inch shorter than a T5). With that said, my driveshaft let loose on me while I was on the freeway... My x pipe is a tad beat up but it probably saved me if anything... Anyways I got a great deal on an 03 cobra AL driveshaft and figured what the hell... I knew that they were shorter than the stock one by about 2 inches but the stock one was a tight... I mean real tight fit to begin with so I knew I wanted shorter. Being IRS there won't be much if any movement so the slip yoke will be pretty much in the same place at all times. I didn't take into account that the TKO was an inch shorter than the T5 so here is the question. How much of the slip yoke engagement is considered safe? I have about 4 inches(C6 31 spline) of engagement and about 2 inches exposed. I checked the stock cobra slip yoke and it has about 3 inches of engagement judging by the wear marks. Should I be good and is 2 inches exposed too much. Thanks for the help.
Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

If you drive like Grandma Moses then it'll probably work, but if you like to open the car up here and there I think it is not worth the risk.

It isn't as simple as risking the driveshaft spline alone, but also the mate for it INside the tranny.

I'd call around and have your shaft professionally lengthened if possible, OR get a totally new shaft shortened to the right specs.

Technically I still should have more mating surface(4 inches) than what the cobra had with its 3 inches on the output shaft. I guess I am more conserned with the 2 exposed inches vs the typical 1 on the yoke...
Kevin