Possible that my rearend is going??

76_Cobra_II

Dec 27, 2003
Clayton, NC
What do I need to look for if I suspect my rearend is going? Theres a sound coming from the rear of my Cobra II that sounds like Im in a Big Truck with Huge tires. When Im riding down the road it Only makes that sound when I let off the gas while its in gear. If I push in the clutch and coast, No Noise! It never makes it when Im accelerating either. Please help me in locating what this is. What amount of money am I looking at also? I need to know cause I also need to buy tires SOON!

• Sponsors (?)

Back it up on ramps, and check for ring/pinion lash, by putting the car in neutral(with the front wheels chocked, heh) and rotating the driveshaft back and forth. A small amount of freeplay is normal, but excessive lash indicates wear.
If you jack up the rear tires, you might also be able to feel any grinding, clicking, or other weird noises when you turn the driveshaft by hand. Lower the car so the tires are 2" from the ground, and use a large prybar to wiggle each tire up and down to check for axle bearing play. (Although, usually when an axle bearing gets loose, the seal also leaks gear oil onto the brake backing plate.)

Also, have you checked the rearend gear oil level?