Possible wheel bearing??

mity2

I like Pro3 and all I got was this crappy CT.
Jul 24, 2003
StateCollege PA
I know there were several threads about wheel bearing noise/failure here in the past. And i know that there are simple ways to check(Jack the car up, move the wheel L to R, Up and down, spin it to see if there are noise etc...).

Basicaly, i'm trying to figure out noise I'm getting from front - humming noise increases as speed increase, like that of truck tire, but it goes away time to time - is from bearing or from the tire.
But when I check the wheel, there is no play, and there were no noise.

Is there any other ways to tell if noise is caused by failed bearing or tire?

• Sponsors (?)

The correct answer is to perform the tire push/pull, etc .. as you mentioned ..

But you can start by doing the obvious (if you already haven't) ... like checking the tire pressure and the condition of the tire. Does it do it worse/the same when going around turns?

Is the dust cap missing that covers the 36mm bolt? Does the howling lessen when you slightly turn the steering wheel at highway speed? If so its most likely wheel bearing.

Not too expensive... I replaced mine on both sides of the front on my old GT. I made a thread on it in 4.6 tech with pictures and part prices. It costs about $125 per side to DIY and it is actually pretty easy.

thanks.
Damn! 258ft-lb?! my torque wrench don't go up that much....

hub bearing assy - $77.58
bearing retainer nut - $12.78
dust cover - $5.87

of these parts list, I guess i can skip Dust cover?
wheel hub retainer (3B477) is samething as retainer nut?

No you cannot "skip the dust cover". The old one will be destroyed when you remove it.

Use all new parts including the nut. The nut is absolutely not reusable. It holds the wheel on, do not take chances.

Well, looks like its not bearing afterall. I jacked car up, and checked play on both wheels. and there are ZERO play in any direction. and no noise other then pad scraping disk.

what i did find, however, is that both of my tire - while from outside looks fine, inside is wearing massively unevenly.
Its so uneven that I can see that its almost reminds me of spiral bevel gear of somesort. see the pic below. U'll get the idea:nonono:

My car is lowered so much that i could not see that until car is jacked up in air. I was hoping to be the bearing as bearing is cheaper then the tire.

Must be from negative camber and maxed out caster angle got slot to do with it....

Yeah, negative camber is the culprit. Does it look worse than this: (pic doesn't do it justice, it was pretty effed)

p2190005ra7.jpg

That is a pic from a long time ago when before I had CC plates ...

Well, looks like its not bearing afterall. I jacked car up, and checked play on both wheels. and there are ZERO play in any direction. and no noise other then pad scraping disk.

what i did find, however, is that both of my tire - while from outside looks fine, inside is wearing massively unevenly.
Its so uneven that I can see that its almost reminds me of spiral bevel gear of somesort. see the pic below. U'll get the idea:nonono:

My car is lowered so much that i could not see that until car is jacked up in air. I was hoping to be the bearing as bearing is cheaper then the tire.

Must be from negative camber and maxed out caster angle got slot to do with it....

a bad wheel bearing will not always have play in it. It can be noisy and still have zero play.

try rotating the tires and drive it and see if the noise is gone.

If the noise is still there get up to speed and cut the wheel like you are swerving in you lane if the noise goes away when you turn right then it's the left bearing if it goes away when you turn left then it's the right bearing.

The tire wear and the noise can be caused by two different things.

I bet your noise is one or both wheel bearings and the tire wear is caused by your camber adjustment.