Post-em UP! Pre-87 Shift Light/Tachs

RatStang

Feb 11, 2010
I'm looking for an elegant solution for a tachometer or shift-light for an 85/86 interior. Simply screwing one of these things into the top of my dash is no solution at all.

I'm looking for something with a good fit and finish... You know... an install that looks like it belongs there.

All I REALLY need is the shift-light. I'm content with the stock tachometer but I've been guilty of bouncing off of the rev limiter a time or two. The engine combo I run wants to rev rev rev but the ignition system says no no no, so situational saturation has had me pushing past the ideal shift point a time or two.

So yeah... I know there's some great fabricators out there. Dudes who have come up with some really great ideas and I'm looking to borrow one of those ideas. :nice:

Thanks in Advance. :)

• Sponsors (?)

I've see those as well but the vents in the 85/86 are different than the ones in later years. The vanes (depending on position) could make the light impossible to see during the daytime.

I mounted mine on the column cocked to the left so it sits in front of the factory tach. I used a piece of aluminum sheet metal on the under side of the plastic column cover as reinforcement so it mounts tight. As far as having a full 5 inch tach and shift light without having a custom dash cluster, this to me is the best option in a 4 eye interior. I used to have it mounted under the glove compartment next to the stereo and then ran the shift light on some longer wire up through the dash and mounted the light on my column but i hated having to look over to see the tach.

I've got one of these mounted on my column, centered between the tach and speedo. Actually looks OK, not big enough to look hillbilly or block my view of the other gauges.

atm-5343_w.jpg

I've got one of these mounted on my column, centered between the tach and speedo. Actually looks OK, not big enough to look hillbilly or block my view of the other gauges.

How is it when you're going through the gears Nik? I mean... do you have to look down at it or can you see while focused on the road ahead of you during broad daylight?

atm-5343_w.jpg

That would look beautiful, do you have a part number for this?

EDIT: NVM I found it in the link when posting the quote haha, #5343

How is it when you're going through the gears Nik? I mean... do you have to look down at it or can you see while focused on the road ahead of you during broad daylight?

It has adjustable brightness. BELIEVE me, Stevie Wonder would have to shied his eyes when this bad boy lights up. The RPM display is also very easy to see, even in daylight.

That would look beautiful, do you have a part number for this?

EDIT: NVM I found it in the link when posting the quote haha, #5343

It is a really nice shift light. It has a few different features, including a peak RPM memory. Mine is just the stage 1, there is also a stage 2 and 3 which have even more adjustability and other features.

It has adjustable brightness. BELIEVE me, Stevie Wonder would have to shied his eyes when this bad boy lights up. The RPM display is also very easy to see, even in daylight.

It is a really nice shift light. It has a few different features, including a peak RPM memory. Mine is just the stage 1, there is also a stage 2 and 3 which have even more adjustability and other features.

Kewl... I'm sold. I've been looking at those in the Summit catalog. My only two reservations were that:

A: I might not be able to see it unless it were in direct line of site through the windshield

B: It's digital. Everything else in my dash is analog.

I gotta say though... they are definitely good looking pieces and the type of digital readout is kinda retro looking IMO.

So yeah... I think I'm going to order one of those in the very near future. I'lll probably get the stage 1 as well. I don't see as I'd have any use for multiple shift points. :shrug: I mean... change gears at same RPM regardless of gear, right?

Summit Racing said:
* Level 2 adds five individual shift point settings, including a launch setting, a multicolor adjustable shift light for customization, and progressive shift settings.

Kewl... I'm sold. I've been looking at those in the Summit catalog. My only two reservations were that:

A: I might not be able to see it unless it were in direct line of site through the windshield

B: It's digital. Everything else in my dash is analog.

I gotta say though... they are definitely good looking pieces and the type of digital readout is kinda retro looking IMO.

So yeah... I think I'm going to order one of those in the very near future. I'lll probably get the stage 1 as well. I don't see as I'd have any use for multiple shift points. :shrug: I mean... change gears at same RPM regardless of gear, right?

The nice thing that the stage two has over the stage 1 is a pre-shift/shift/over-shift color display. It lights up yellow right before you need to shift, green on your shift, and red if you go over. The stage 1 just lights up a single color at your shift point.

The nice thing that the stage two has over the stage 1 is a pre-shift/shift/over-shift color display. It lights up yellow right before you need to shift, green on your shift, and red if you go over. The stage 1 just lights up a single color at your shift point.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Me like! I read the description and thought it was saying that you could program different shift points for each gear.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... Me like! I read the description and thought it was saying that you could program different shift points for each gear.

Haha yea, I didn't understand it the first time either. It wasn't until I bought the shift light and looked at the package that I understood it. Of course, it has a nice color diagram on the back for the stage two even though I only got the stage one. Still, I'm happy with it.

Here are a few shots of mine.

Excuse the:
... Bad pic quality, I used the wifey's iPhone.
... Dusty dash/cluster.
... And the fact that it isn't illuminated. The car is on jack stands currently and I didn't have the keys handy anyway.

SL3.jpg

SL2.jpg

SL1.jpg