Post up your roll bar/cage pics

BIG-MAC

Jan 22, 2006
Dallas
I am almost done with my coupe and am to the point where I need to put the seatbelts in. But since a bit of irresponsible driving may be in my near future the stock belts do not seem to be the smart way to go. Plus I want to replace the stock buckets with Scat Procars, so a 4 pt harnesses would be ideal. But to properly mount the shoulder harnesses I need a crossbrace from a roll bar. So I guess buying/building and installing a rollbar is my next unplanned project. So if you have them post up your roll bar/cage pics...thanks a lot! I would especially like to see some with and without the back seats intact. And ideally 68 Coupes but all are appreciated...

• Sponsors (?)

BIG-MAC said:
I am almost done with my coupe and am to the point where I need to put the seatbelts in. But since a bit of irresponsible driving may be in my near future the stock belts do not seem to be the smart way to go. Plus I want to replace the stock buckets with Scat Procars, so a 4 pt harnesses would be ideal. But to properly mount the shoulder harnesses I need a crossbrace from a roll bar. So I guess buying/building and installing a rollbar is my next unplanned project. So if you have them post up your roll bar/cage pics...thanks a lot! I would especially like to see some with and without the back seats intact. And ideally 68 Coupes but all are appreciated...

Dang.............two threads at the same time!

Been there and done that on the same page:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=613486

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

Here's another cool use for a rollbar with a crossbar! This is the 8pt in my 68 coupe, I've since added 5pt. harnesses also...

68Restoman

519500_57_full.jpg

BIG-MAC said:
I guess I should have checked and searched first...thanks guys.:shrug:

Am not "fussing", the search function keeps down the amount of threads at StangNet. My pants only get in a wad (that is Southern for "all bunched up") when people jump in out out of StangNet trying to sell stuff or they preach stupid things like street racing (in any form).

Welcome to the forum!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

jeep5fs.gif

Attachments

• jeep5fs.gif
    jeep5fs.gif
    7 KB · Views: 43
Because I wanted door bars in my 67 coupe but my first trial fit of them told me I was NOT going to climb over the sumbitches all the time. Hinge kits I found looked pretty cheesy so I whittled some out of solid steel. The pin isn't in in these pics. The hinges I made in the same fashion.
30425182-a892-028001E0-.jpg

Notice the slight angle to the "latch". This keeps them naturally "shut" until the pin is inserted.
30425164-dcef-028001E0-.jpg

The rear struts are actually the kit's door bars. (Competition Engineering 8 point) They run through existing holes in the metal part of the package tray and down to the tops of the rear "frame rails". The door bars I had to bend quite a bit to snake between my seat, the Deluxe door panels, and still be at "rules" height past the driver. The hoop I positioned as close as I could to be somewhat hidden from outside by the window chrome when the windows are rolled up. Slightly compromised by my wanting to retain use of the quarter window regulators. Very slightly.
20955824-83fd-010C00C9-.jpg

I never intend to race the car and know full well my work isn't "legal". Before I put the bars in I carefully reviewed IHRA, NHRA, and SCCA rules though. My infractions are really just cosmetic, I believe the bars technically safe except maybe for the bend in the rear strut bars (SCCA rules IIRC). They're just not inspectable and obviously I don't like boogery exposed welds. Can't help it, I just don't.
My backseat is in there. It's a complete bummer to remove and reinstall. It can be done, but it goes out the back window. The backseat is purely for looks, no one is allowed back there. My hoop's crossbar is welded in and considered absolutely deadly to rear seat passengers. The interior quarter trim panels are also still removable, just barely. Sharp folks may note that I said I have a 67 yet the backseat is a 66.
The hoop's inner supports go through the floor pan and are welded directly to my homemade subframe connectors that I built with exactly this in mind.
It may be a slightly odd way to build a car, but hey, I'm a strange guy. I'm building my car the way Iwant it. Perhaps some of this info you might find slightly useful anyway.