SN95 Powdered Metal Rods With Cracked End A Cracked Idea?

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
How are the powdered metal 4.6 rods holding up? I worry on my 4.6 if they can crack the crank end reliably, are other cracks are just a disaster waiting to happen? This guy says 400 Hp before there is a problem. Does anyone race their 4.6 hard enough to confirm or deny that? Thanks! I would love a supercharger on my 4.6, but expect if I do not mess with it that 300k miles is a possibility.

http://www.mre-books.com/sa82/sa82_3.html

Off topic, On How It's Made : Dream Cars, there are many women working on Corvettes. About half look like they could have been there a long time. I knew it was a good paying gig, but GM must have it so brawn is not needed to reduce injuries. This show is what brought up the cracked rod ends. Even the Stingray is using them.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't know about 4.6s, and you probably posted this in the wrong section for that info but cracked rods aren't inherently weak by any means. They're leaned on hard in the LS world

I posted for the sn 95's as the later ones had mod motors. Besides, many of you also have more than one Ford, a tow vehicle or newer StangNet or Crown Vic. A Focus with a Terminator motor? Plus, I trust this groups experience.

Last edited:
Cracked rod ends aren't a problem. They do them that way so that every single rod is perfectly matched to it's cap. Casting the whole rod as one piece and then cracking it results in a stronger rod, perfectly flush contact surfaces, and increased durability, while reducing costs and production time. There's a reason it's becoming more and more common.

I'm sure that the hydraulic pressure required to break that rod end off of that rod is insane. I wouldn't hesitate to use the rods considering the process. It means a perfectly matched, perfectly round big end on the rod, that can't be put together backwards (done that), or mis-matched (done that too)

The whole 4.6 thing is an unnerving process. Monster length timing chains that require 4 engine rotations for the dots to line back up, interference PtoV issues that require absolute accuracy when installing the cams, and those freakin TTY head bolts that have to be torqued till they stretch is a entire test of my sanity.

I liked the way my 4.6 ran, and how it looked in my engine bay,...I'd have another in a minute (maybe a Teksid Aluminator instead of my 2v, if I ever replace the Monster engine w/ a non-weird assed combo)

upload_2017-1-7_23-52-11.png

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure that the hydraulic pressure required to break that rod end off of that rod is insane. I wouldn't hesitate to use the rods considering the process. It means a perfectly matched, perfectly round big end on the rod, that can't be put together backwards (done that), or mis-matched (done that too)

The whole 4.6 thing is an unnerving process. Monster length timing chains that require 4 engine rotations for the dots to line back up, interference PtoV issues that require absolute accuracy when installing the cams, and those freakin TTY head bolts that have to be torqued till they stretch is a entire test of my sanity.

I liked the way my 4.6 ran, and how it looked in my engine bay,...I'd have another in a minute (maybe a Teksid Aluminator instead of my 2v, if I ever replace the Monster engine w/ a non-weird assed combo)
Meh, 4.6 Ford isn't so bad.

4.6 Hyundai and Toyota are both way worse to work on.

If you had to go mod motor, I think coyote has made all others obsolete. I understand it powered the mothership that the aliens used to bring it to us, in order to crush this infestation known as LS. Praise be to coyote!! All hail mighty coyote and bow to it's majesty!!

Reactions: 3 users
If you had to go mod motor, I think coyote has made all others obsolete. I understand it powered the mothership that the aliens used to bring it to us, in order to crush this infestation known as LS. Praise be to coyote!! All hail mighty coyote and bow to it's majesty!!
Thats a bit much, powered the mothership? I can picture a minivan full of ET look'n forms with a blower topped coyote and zoomies, a berkley jet drive look'n thing behind the engine, screaming past the millennium falcon with an alien hand give'n Harrison Ford the alien finger.
THINKINEEDMORECOFFEE

Allen, You should also know that I'm all about flying in the face of non-conformity. The more something becomes "accepted" as the go to, the more that I'm gonna find a more steep path to walk.
I've looked at Coyote based engine compartments, and I've looked at Mod motored versions of the same..
pacecarmotor.jpg

I prefer this:
To this:
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAKiAAAAJGViYTQwZTlmLTM3YzEtNGNkYS1hZmQxLTE3NWQ2YzFhYWVkZA.jpg

Allen, You should also know that I'm all about flying in the face of non-conformity. The more something becomes "accepted" as the go to, the more that I'm gonna find a more steep path to walk.
I've looked at Coyote based engine compartments, and I've looked at Mod motored versions of the same..
pacecarmotor.jpg

I prefer this:
To this:
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAKiAAAAJGViYTQwZTlmLTM3YzEtNGNkYS1hZmQxLTE3NWQ2YzFhYWVkZA.jpg

Stacks are cool, no doubt. Can't argue that. Is there a rule saying you can't put them on a new 5.0??

Thats a bit much, powered the mothership? I can picture a minivan full of ET look'n forms with a blower topped coyote and zoomies, a berkley jet drive look'n thing behind the engine, screaming past the millennium falcon with an alien hand give'n Harrison Ford the alien finger.
THINKINEEDMORECOFFEE

I don't think you've been around long enough to get that reference. That was a play off of an infamous video about the almighty B cam.