Power question... Your input wanted!

Jun 10, 2005
I have a mustang buddy who thinks i am going to blow every alternator that i throw in a 01 gt. I am basically throwing a big sound system in there and i need a big alternator. I need some suggestions/companies for a high output alternator that is anywhere from 250-350 amps.

I am running 2 JBL 1200 watt amps and a JL audio 45 watt amp.
I have a yellow top and a batcap

Any suggestions would be great. Ive tried the searches but i couldnt really find anything down to what i needed.

• Sponsors (?)

i recommend 2farads per 1000w.

i run a audiobahn 1300w amp to a 12" Audiobahn Eternal sub, and run 2 1farad caps in-line. i havent blown a alt yet. i always heard the rule was take the amp output, and add a 0 and thats how many watts you can run without too much strain on the alt. so say 130a alt=1300w, or whatever our stock alts put out.

i would wait until you actually fry your alt to get the new one. hell, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I would disagree with your last statement thomas. If there is too much strain going on, it will kill his yellowtop quicker along with the alternatorand maybe the batcap. I say get the 200amp alternator, and see how it charges. Our stock alt. put out 130amps at peak, so he's way over already.
I have just one 500w(rms) amp running 1 12" sub and have already killed my battery prematurely, but the alternator is fine.