Power Steering acts weird in my 69.

lord_cobra

Sep 2, 2005
Ok. This is kind of hard to explain. When turning my car, usually to the left, once I turn so far, but not all the way, the car will all of a sudden turn the rest of the way to lock very quickly. It is starting to scare me a bit because it is dangerous.

I have rebuilt all of the front suspension and I also rebuilt the PS control valve. The ps cylinder is still the original. Could this be the cause?

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Hoses to control valve from cylinder reversed? usually will make the steering even crazier.

Otherwise, yes, control valve is bad. Buy a new one or get your rebuilt by stangersite... I think, been a while. I hate the stock steering.

Manual conversion is a pretty good idea...

I thought about converting to manual but I like being to easily manuever the car in parking lots. I would love to install a rack but don't have the money for that.

Is there a way to make the factory PS have more resistance at all? Right now it is effortless.

Cylinder will not have a thing to do with it.

Did you realign after installing the parts?

The Hydralics really is not a issue, the fluid travel is solely control by you turning the wheel to move the spool in the control, no movement, no fluid travel.

I'd say you have a poorly assembled system, something not rebuilt correctly.

Dan @

ChockoStang

Cylinder will not have a thing to do with it.

Did you realign after installing the parts?

The Hydralics really is not a issue, the fluid travel is solely control by you turning the wheel to move the spool in the control, no movement, no fluid travel.

I'd say you have a poorly assembled system, something not rebuilt correctly.

Dan @

ChockoStang

I did get it aligned after installing everything. I installed the Power Steering Ball Stud Repair Kit but otherwise did not do anything else with the Control Valve. It has been awhile but I am pretty sure with the front end kit I put in I got new tie rods and pitman arm and everything else. When it happens I really have to make sure I am holding onto the steering wheel or it can be jerked out of my hands. Could the control valve cause this?