Power Steering Conversion

clr0gers

Jun 15, 2012
Evansville, WI
I know this isn't a pure Mustang question but I'm hoping that someone here will have a good answer that can save me some time & maybe money. I have a hot rod that I've been building since 2004 & in 2014 finally got it on the road long enough to discover that I really need power steering. It's a 1946 Ford pickup with the Mustang II rack & pinion conversion crossmember rather than the old straight axle. It has a 351W with a T5 manual trans, Crown Vic drive shaft (shortened) & a 1980 Bronco 9" rearend. The manual rack in it now is from a 1982 to 1988 T-bird & I've seen several aftermarket & rebuilt units but am not sure which way to go. Speedway has a rack for $199.00 that fits 82-88 T-bird applications using the aftermarket crossmember like I have but it uses a GM pump, what does the Mustangs use, GM or Ford & what's the difference? Rockauto has an ACDelco rebuilt for about $141.00 including core & shipping but I don't know if this will fit my crossmember or not. Does anybody have any experience in this matter that could contact me with the right info so I don't spend more than I need to. I'm retired & only have a $200.00 a month budget to work with.
Thanks

chuck

• Sponsors (?)

I got ahold of a tech guy at Speedway & they had the power steering rack I needed & I then bought a rebuilt Ford P/S pump from NAPA. I will get the hoses after it warms up & I can get the rack & pump installed. Looks like I better find a P/S bracket for a 1984 to 1988 V8 T-bird now.
Thanks

chuck