Power Steering Fluid Leaking... need help...

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by MustangThief, May 27, 2005.

1. MustangThief

Founding Member

Well I came out to my car about 30 minutes ago (10:00AM) and there was about a 2 foot long puddle behind my car (where it was parked yesterday before I came home last night at about 11:00PM) , so I dabbed my fingers in it and smelled it... power steering fluid... so I popped the hood and there was power steering fluid all around the cap and all over everything below it, as well as a new puddle on the ground about 8" wide...

The power steering resovoir is about 3" below the minimum mark now... all my mods are listed in sig but this obviously just started and I haven't opened my hood since I changed my oil about 2 months ago..

Should I go buy a new resovoir? A new rack? new cap? I thought maybe the cap came loose since all around the cap was wet with the fluid but it's all over every hose so It's impossible to tell if there is an in-line leak... I do have long tube headers, and the car has 39,000 miles on it, thanks for any input.

Much appreciated,
    Dave

2. Nater

Nater New Member

I would have someone start the car while you watched the PS reservoir. Have them turn the wheel to see if there is a leak someplace in the line. Obviously, if it starts shooting right away, TURN THE ENGINE OFF. Don't want to have you bust something else while in the process. This is the first time I've heard of someone with PS problems. I would do a check to see what is leaking before going out and buying something that is not busted.
    Or if you don't feel like this is safe, remove the belt and turn the PS pump pulley by hand to see if it leaks.

3. MustangThief

Founding Member

I was out ****ing with it some more and I'm beginning to think the cap came loose somehow... the hood hasn't been opened but all around the cap on top of the resovoir is wet with PS fluid, so unless it's actually squirting UP and onto the top of it it's coming from there...

Also I noticed no difference in steering even though it's about 3" below minimum, and by the looks of it, it's all sitting in my driveway... so maybe it's not the cap... if it was the cap I'm thinking maybe it would only leak while I was driving and it's leaking while it's sitting... or was...

4. MustangThief

Founding Member

Anyone have any other input? I'm beginning to think the cap just came loose but I wish I'm not sure if that's even logical.

I'm gonna spray it all off today with some brake cleaner and **** around with it to see if I can tell where the leak is coming from.

Anyone hear of any PS fluid leak problems before this?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Fried or Broiled ?

Nah, don't use brake cleaner. Use a good foaming engine degraser and clean the whole under hood area at once...

Sorry, I do not know much about power steering...

6. RandyStinchcomb

RandyStinchcomb New Member

sounds like the system might have air in it. ther is a white teflon O-ring on the line where it goes into the pump, very common problem after engine swaps, head swaps, pump or line re-placement or any other thing done under the hood that may disturb the pump or lines. there are 2 different sizes .475 & .515 I believe. part #'s are 388898-S & 388897-S