power steering pulley stuck on!

AvalancheSVT

10 Year Member
Jun 12, 2005
hey guys i have a sixpack but the power steering pump is the same setup and nobody ever goes to the v6 forums so i'm here.

i need to replace my water pump and i have to take off the power steering pump bracket to do this. i tried using the puler from autozone but its too hard to what do you guys think i should do?

and after i get it off i dont know how to put it back on. why the hell would ford put a bracket under a pulley? why not just put holes in the pulley? my 240 takes like 5 12mm bolts and the water pump is off. c'mon :(

• Sponsors (?)

The puller is really the only way to get it off, I have had to use an impact gun to get them off in the past however a socket on a breaker bar works just as good.

You will need to rent or buy a PS steering puller. The PS pulley has a ridge that the puller seats on. Then you crank the screw on the middle of the puller to get the pulley off the shaft.

BigW87020.jpg

You can rent the tool at Autozone or other auto parts stores.

I have used a bearing separator & harmonic balancer puller together to do the job.

Use this tool to put it back on...

45320.jpg

I usually just use the bolt that comes with the new PS pump.

"i need to replace my water pump and i have to take off the power steering pump bracket to do this. i tried using the puler from autozone but its too hard to what do you guys think i should do?"

Just make ABSOLUTELY sure you have that bolt going through the center completely bottomed-out to mesh as many threads as possible before you really go cranking on it. It was almost without fail, every other one of those friggin' P/S pulley removers we rented out at Autozone came back with the threads stripped out the first time it got used because some dude only threaded it in there two or three turns and ripped the threads off the end. (Not only does it mess up the puller, but the threads inside the pump shaft can be ruined to a point that you're almost guaranteed never to get that pulley off of there in one piece, nor will you be able to thread in a bolt to reattach the pulley, later on, unless you're damned handy with a thread tap...

EDIT: A healthy dose of PB Blaster and/or WD-40 makes things go a LOT easier, too.

i cried uncle. allthis hassle over a squeek at this time in my life isn't worth it. im returning the parts and getting my money back. i got more important things i need to focus on :(