Power Steering Pump Groaning

• Sponsors (?)

Check your power steering fluid obviously but if it's low, don't add power steering fluid. I'm not sure if automatic transmission fluid is used on an 02 but I know my mustang does not use power steering fluid, rather, ATF. Someone maybe can make sure I"m telling you correctly.

Anyway, my truck started groaning really bad so I changed the fluid and it fixed my horrible groaning sound. Now, it is a PITA to do it by disconnecting lines (ends up blowing everywhere and what not) so I used a different method.

First, suck out the fluid in your resovoir and then refill it with new fluid.

Then drive it for a day or so and repeat step one. Do this three or four times and it will cycle the fluid through the system until you have basically got all the nasty out. It's time consuming to some degree but easier than flushing the system by disconnecting the low line and pumping fluid with an impact or whatever ... Hope that makes sense and good luck.

DTNODYA said:
Check your power steering fluid obviously but if it's low, don't add power steering fluid. I'm not sure if automatic transmission fluid is used on an 02 but I know my mustang does not use power steering fluid, rather, ATF. Someone maybe can make sure I"m telling you correctly.

Anyway, my truck started groaning really bad so I changed the fluid and it fixed my horrible groaning sound. Now, it is a PITA to do it by disconnecting lines (ends up blowing everywhere and what not) so I used a different method.

First, suck out the fluid in your resovoir and then refill it with new fluid.

Then drive it for a day or so and repeat step one. Do this three or four times and it will cycle the fluid through the system until you have basically got all the nasty out. It's time consuming to some degree but easier than flushing the system by disconnecting the low line and pumping fluid with an impact or whatever ... Hope that makes sense and good luck.

Great idea man! I need to change my PS fluid too lol. I'm pretty sure its the original fluid :nonono: ...and I have 69k miles. I'm bad :(

the98stang said:
Great idea man! I need to change my PS fluid too lol. I'm pretty sure its the original fluid :nonono: ...and I have 69k miles. I'm bad :(

Meh, that's not too bad. I did my Mustang's at about 69k and it looked damn good anyway (compared to my Ranger with 80k). A guy on the Ranger forum told me about that method because flushing it the 'real' way is a PITA. Kilgore tried it and blew ATF all over his garage so after reading that, I decided to try and find an easier way. :nice:

jeffnoel

Your power steering pump could be going bad. Ford power steering pumps are known for groaning though from what I've read and seen. If it starts screamin' then get more concerned but if it's not too bad, just drive it for a while because there could be air in the system that will bleed out from driving (turning the steering wheel). I've heard not to turn the steering wheel with our cars off though because it can cause air to get into the system. :shrug: Just a thought FWIW ....

Well I just wondering what's up because it groans intermitantly not all the time. And it didn't start making noise until at least a month after I installed the Canton tank so I don't think that has anything to do with it. And it's been about 3 months since I did that so I would think any air that got in there back then would be gone by know.