power steering pump help

95Monky

Jan 3, 2003
Chico, CA
I am attempting to remove a power steering pump. how do i keep the pulley from turning when removing the bolt...

the pulley is loose as in not pressed on to the shaft any more. It seems the previous owner stripped the threads out of the shaft.

how do get the bolt out?

hope this is clear enough.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you need to get a power steering pulley puller kit. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for like 10 bucks, it comes with different adapters for ford/gm/chrysler/import. Turning the screw/bolt in the shaft does nothing, it has to pressed on and off. The tool is easy to use, I've done it a couple times.

the bolt is still in the pump. if you dont need the bolt to be off then why is it in there?

I cant hold the pulley to remove the bolt as the pulley just spins on the PS pump shaft. I'm at a loss on how to get the bolt out besides hacking it off and buying a new one.

suggestions appreciated !!!!!

here is what I am looking at. it looks like someone added a bolt? Can someone take a pic of theirs and pot it?

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0366.jpg

is the pulley wobbling?
the pump is most likely bad.
here's what its supposed to look like.

1.jpg

2.jpg

since it looks like the pump is bad,you can try to stick something through the holes in the pulley and brace it against the pump or bracket,then try to turn that bolt.
or cut the head of that bolt off.

its your call.
good luck.