Power Steering pump identification problem 65

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
howdy all- I have a (rare?) p/s pump I think- it's for an early 65 with A/C. It has the "large neck." You see them for sale in the parts books for $275+, with no core needed. But they never have rebuilt ones...
So I thought I found one at NPD.

On my car, the return hose inlet points DOWN. (this is the key)

I have bought replacement pumps from mustang+ and now NPD, and they state it is the correct pump. I still have yet to receive a correct pump. Either I get a 'small neck' version, or this time I got one that looked almost perfect, but the return hose inlet points UP, and therefore is 'incorrect' for mustangs. I only say incorrect because you can buy the 'housing only' from many places, and they always state, "Correct for mustang" and have a downward pointing return inlet.

Here's a picture of what I have in my car now, and what the magazine (NPD in this case) refers to as "mustang correct"
real.png

Here's what I got in the mail-
npd.jpg

Can anyone tell me what car the upward pointing pump is for so I can have the right info for the NPD folks?

Anyone know of someone that rebuilds these pumps? (D/FW area would be nice..)

Anyone else even have this pump?

• Sponsors (?)

all of the pumps i've installed that i can remember have upward pointing return lines.

both of my '66 coupes have it, as well as the handful i've done at the shop

The large diameter filler neck pumps are correct for 1965-1966 Fords. On V8 cars, the straight up neck is for non-AC cars, the tilted neck for AC cars. In 1967, Ford went to the small neck pumps.

It is very common to get a later model small neck pump as a replacement, but it is not correct.

On a Mustang, the return hose nipple points down and outwards, towards the lower frame rail on the car. The pump you have where the nipple points upwards, toward the top of the fender apron, is designed for a Galaxie or Fairlane.

If you use a pump with the upward turned nipple on a Mustang, the stock style replacement return hoses are not long enough to go up and down onto the nipple without kinking.

About half the pumps I get in for rebuilding have the wrong housing on them, so I "re-clock" the return hose nipple so it points correctly.