Power steering pump options

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
This is the only piece that hasnt been replaced in the steering system. Are the checkers and napa replacements worth a damn or should I order a 100 piece from lmr?

• Sponsors (?)

This is the only piece that hasnt been replaced in the steering system. Are the checkers and napa replacements worth a damn or should I order a 100 piece from lmr?
It may be all the same part with a different label on it.

Do some research, I have heard rumors that the 94-95 Mustang PS pumps don't have the noise problems and can be made to fit.

You may also want to consider rebuilding the one you have now. Rebuild may not be the correct description but it's close enough. My pump was noisy too. I headed down to my local NAPA and picked up a seal kit for it, the kit was about 10 bucks. I disassembled it, cleaned everything up real good and then reassembled it using the new seals. It has been quiet ever since. There was a lot of small particles of something in the pump. I didn't use a magnet and see if the particles were metal. I just cleaned it out real good. There are a lot of small springs in them so you need to be sure to not loose any of them.

I went to get one yesterday and they asked me if it had an improved filtration system on it????? Does anyone know what this means and if it matters??

It has been suggested by another Stangnetter (I don't remember who) that placing a small filter in the rack return fluid line helps reduce noise and contamination.