power steering pump

• Sponsors (?)

Find a repair shop capable of flushing your p/s system. Ford are notorius for noisey pumps. We have a flush machine made by BG chemicals. More times that not, it quiets the system down. I believe we charge around $65.00 parts and labor. :nice:

BG makes that joke of a machine too???!??! LOL We sell a lot of that BG service stuff at my work. It's good for some cars but not others. I love it when we we do fuel system cleanings and the car needs a tune up after really badly. It gets better with cooling system flushes, some cars are such a a joke we just drain and fill.

Your P/S pump is probally going bad. You need a new one but a flush is a good idea.

BG is good stuff but I don't know about that flush machine for the P/S system. It seems to me that it really just drops fluid into the resivour and then sucks it back up but it gets a majority of it. I make good money off it though, and it does seem to work. The BG powersteering conditioner really does a good job of quieting the system.
For cooling system flushes, I add the flush, let it run then pull the hose while adding water to the radiator. I got me a nick name because it makes a mess, but I really get them clean.

The cheap way to do a flush is to pull and plug the return line on the pump and just have someone pour fluid in while someone else turns the wheel. That will get every drop.

Asha, i dont know. isnt it just a hose clamp on it? if so, a small piece of hose with a bolt in the other end and a hose clamp works. then clamp the open end onto the pump.

i always thought people pulled the return line at the "P.S. cooler" and flushed that way. same thing, just at a differnt point in the return lines as far as i can tell. i would do that for simplicity, though im sure 90 MustangGT is right- he knows his stuff. :nice:

Thanks for the props Hissin50. When I bought my new pump, it came with a cap to put over the return hole and recomended doing the flush this way. The return line when disconnected has no pressure, so you don't need a lot to keep it plugged. Stick an ear plug in there or something, it doesn't need much. Or what Hissin50 said will work, just a little more effort.

What about that Lucas P/S fix stuff, I wonder if it really works. I am about to try the Auto Tranny fix stuff for my grand am. After almost 200K miles of girl drivers the tranny was fine. 2K of me in it and second gear band is f'd, and on a 3 speed auto, it sucks.

BTW: I might/planning be going with a Manual rack soon. I replaced the P/S pump about a year ago, it's a quality new one too. I'd probally sell it pretty cheap, so when I do, I remember to send you a PM.

Don't get you hopes up too high - when I did my performance mods a while back, I replaced my p/s pump, as well as the rack. I'd been having some problems with the rack and it was easy to get to with the engine out of the car. The pump was original, and the replacement wasn't that expensive, so I thought what the heck. So - new pump, new rack, brand new fluid - and it's MUCH noisier than it was with the old set up. Go figure. I just tell people that it's blower whine.

Michael Yount said:
Don't get you hopes up too high - when I did my performance mods a while back, I replaced my p/s pump, as well as the rack. I'd been having some problems with the rack and it was easy to get to with the engine out of the car. The pump was original, and the replacement wasn't that expensive, so I thought what the heck. So - new pump, new rack, brand new fluid - and it's MUCH noisier than it was with the old set up. Go figure. I just tell people that it's blower whine.
Michael, dont feel like the lone ranger.
my rack was toast when i got the car (should the pass wheel toe out a few MM with no other movement in the steering. LOL).

i stripped the front end to renew the suspension, rack, PS pump, all P.S. hoses and some other stuff. i was not impressed with the new components. the car has the "handling package," so that is what i got (quick ratio rack, accompanying pump, etc).

the steering is twitchy and i get some typical "GM whine" when turning the wheel, as well as a smidge of chattering when turning the wheel when not moving (i know not to, but every other car does just fine. how else do you initially bleed it.). the pump is not bad noise wise (old one was losing its bearings). i used Redline P.S. fluid (meets the requirements for the ATF or whatever the pump uses. none of the cars use the intended fluids in the components; cant remember which takes what off the top of my bean). anyhow, as said, i was not impressed. the noise seems to be inherant in most pumps from what i have seen in here.

Michael, do you use Mustang rack and pump? i was thinking you might retain the Volvo rack (if they came with them) and specially made hoses to mate it all up....? just curious. :)

Michael Yount said:
Translation? I need power steering - I'm old!
translation: Volvo talk for "Thank you very much" [for explaining how you combined your 242 and stang parts]. :)

Michael and Jrichker, it's funny how easily we are spoiled. i a 'gen' or two younger than you, but i remember my first cars having no P.S (worm box). drove cars with no PS for 10 years. i know you both had cars with none and it was no big deal back then.
now, i whine about it (and i do have big arms- that has nothing to do with it. LOL). i get in one of the non PS cars, and i say "what the....." the car actually demands attention to drive. :)

how we get spoiled. :)

ya i have a 351 in my stang and ive gone through 3 pumps...its almost time to go to manual for me..gain some hp and save some headaches...its not cool when they lock right up..i flushed the hell outta it the last time i changed it..but its bin whining again...so i dunno.