Power Steering Suddenly Dead

redsn95gt

Aug 5, 2010
I took my 95 project out for a short test ride about 3 weekends ago. Things were looking up, car was running great. Did a sharp U turn to go back home. I noticed a puddle the next day, it was power steering fluid. Wow a leak I thought. Sure enough, pump was bone dry at this point.

So i refilled the power steering pump, fired up the car, tried to turn the steering wheel, even with some gas, not working. When I have it in gear it seemed to work slightly. Raised the car up and checked the rack, all connections solid. Hoses to cooler are solid too. Checked connections at the pump, all tight. Where is this leak coming from?? I took off the belt and cranked the pump by hand for awhile to see if I could spring a leak. Didn't happen. Turned on the car and let it sit awhile, tried to turn the wheel again, no leak, no power steering, pump is turning without hesitation. I just bought this pump as a replacement a few months ago, it was a salvage deal on eBay. Worked great for a few weeks.

Any ideas? Dead pump?? Its purely mechanical so I'm not sure how it couldn't be working.

• Sponsors (?)

So first you lost the fluid, then no power steering (of course). The you replaced the fluid and still no power steering...but this time there is no leak. So if the power steering motor is working (which you confirmed) then either the shaft is broken (like toyman mentioned) or perhaps you now have a clogged line. I'd say check the hoses. If no clogs there then perhaps the cooler or the rack has a clog. Once you reslove that issue don't forget to check for where that leak came from. Good luck...