Power Steering to Manual

5.0 con-vert

No soup for you, Joe Rogan!!!
Jun 7, 2005
Boca Raton, FL
I just finished the T-5 swap. Yes, it did take me forever. When I got it started again and drove it around the block, I came back and a huge puddle was under the car. It appears the rack esploded and leaked everything out. I would rather not dump another 400 bucks in there right now so I need to decide what to do. Can I just remove everything power steering until I feel like fixing it? I imagine if I let the power steering pump spin without fluid it will burn up eventually. Or will it just act as an idle pulley? The fun never ends! Thanks:eek:

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 con-vert said:
I just finished the T-5 swap. Yes, it did take me forever. When I got it started again and drove it around the block, I came back and a huge puddle was under the car. It appears the rack esploded and leaked everything out. I would rather not dump another 400 bucks in there right now so I need to decide what to do. Can I just remove everything power steering until I feel like fixing it? I imagine if I let the power steering pump spin without fluid it will burn up eventually. Or will it just act as an idle pulley? The fun never ends! Thanks:eek:
Yes the power steering pump will burn up eventually ! Look into getting a flaming river one ASAP. I have one in the shop that im getting ready to put on as soon as i stop being a tight ass and buy a tubular k member. Get on E bay and look around for one, you can find them there for a little bit cheaper

Modular2v said:
Yes the power steering pump will burn up eventually ! Look into getting a flaming river one ASAP. I have one in the shop that im getting ready to put on as soon as i stop being a tight ass and buy a tubular k member. Get on E bay and look around for one, you can find them there for a little bit cheaper

Nice. thanks. That will be the next plan of attack then. Dammit! Now Im gonna need another new belt!!!:eek:

I may be alone here but i don't see any real benefit of ditching power steering (i guess if you HAVE to because of money, that's one thing) but unless you have a dedicated quarter mile only car and you want to save every last pound of weight, PS is one of those luxuries that i don't see a reason to let go. Even with Flaming River racks it sucks from a stand still and arouns slow tight corners, and if you run big wise 17s up front then it's even worse.

Just my $.02

I just had the same problem. I opted to just get a remanufactured rack complete for $80, outer tie rods for $30, bushings $10, new pressure and return lines for $60 and finally an alignment for $30. Not bad for about $210.

bubba-dough said:
I just had the same problem. I opted to just get a remanufactured rack complete for $80, outer tie rods for $30, bushings $10, new pressure and return lines for $60 and finally an alignment for $30. Not bad for about $210.

Thats not too bad then. I may invest if its only a couple hundred bucks. Thanks for the input.