power windows

rjames75

Apr 28, 2003
Bloomington, In
has anybody had problems with their power windows? My dirvers
side window makes a clunking clicking sound when it is in the full up postion when I roll up the window. I think it might be the gears slipping or stripping out. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

:notnice:
Yep, first, the grommet on the regulator arm fel down into the door. Then, the brackets GLUED on to the bottom of the glass fell off ! You will have to take your door panel off (easy job) and look around, or bring it in to Ford. They don't stock many of the repair bits and pieces. For example, if your grommet is bad, you have to buy a NEW REGULATOR, and if your brackets fell off, you have to buy a new DOOR GLASS , or have a Ford tech glue them back on.

I don't have the clunking sound with my windows, but I did notice that my driverside window goes down faster then the other window. If I let go of the buttons simultaneously when the drivers window is all the way down... the passenger window still has an inch to go.

I just had that problem -- took it to Ford and the window had come unglued from the brackets that hold the glass. Had to get a new window and they replaced the glass and reglued it in. Works fine now. Extended warranty is a piece of crap, didn't cover the window but covered the bracket and some labor - still cost $300. :nonono: :bang:

00GTblkvert said:
I just had that problem -- took it to Ford and the window had come unglued from the brackets that hold the glass. Had to get a new window and they replaced the glass and reglued it in. Works fine now. Extended warranty is a piece of crap, didn't cover the window but covered the bracket and some labor - still cost $300. :nonono: :bang:
Hey, I noticed you live in Florida, too ! Maybe the glue won't hold up in this heat ? What did Ford say ?

I was lead to believe the new glass comes with the brackets already glued. I'm glad you spoke up - now I'm gonna do it myself. :shrug:

I have the same problems as mentioned above and there is also a horrible screeching sound when the windows are lowered as well... I think its the rubber making contact with the window... in any event its freakin annoying!

Window noises...

02StallionGT,

On my '96, the passanger window was touching a bracket or something, that scarched the tinting on the inside. It was also slower from day one, and shifted quite a bit when rolling up or down, you know, a rotating motion on the beginning of the motion. The dealer replaced the regulator under warranty, but they did not fix the touching bracket.
Another pet peve of mine were the windshield wipers. They clunked, and slapped and were just awful. They replaced the motor/gear but it's was not much better. I found this with my '03 as well. I think it's a manufacturing telrance issue with the gearbox. The worm gear/motor shaft floats too much that gets amplified at the wipers.

My Drivers side window just crapped out on me and it got stuck down. No tsure what the problemwas but I brought it straight to the dealer to get fixed...its in the shop now getting straightened out. I also told them to fix the screeching window problem cuase it drives me and my girl nuts

well, i took the door panel off tonight and saw that the teeth at the
top of the window regulator have been stripped off. I think that is why
my drivers side window makes that sound when it is rolled all the way up.

before i realized the teeth stripped off, i tried to get the motor
out of the door and now the window is out of whack. won't completely roll all the way up and gets jammed about 1/4 of the way down. any suggestions of how to fix it?

02StallionGT said:
I have the same problems as mentioned above and there is also a horrible screeching sound when the windows are lowered as well... I think its the rubber making contact with the window... in any event its freakin annoying!

I have a 91 LX, every time i lower the window's the driver side screeches, and then when i push the button to make them go up the passenger side screeches...any idea on what that really is? I tried taking the door panel off and seeing if there was anything broken or worn out...couldn't find anything. It has got to be one of the most irritating things I've ever heard :bang: