powerdyne blower and 42# injectors

88gt373

Dec 29, 2010
hey guys. its been a while but here's a question for guys with powerdyne blowers or general knowledge of superchargers:

i have a chance to get a used powerdyne blower with power pipe, 42# injectors, matching c&l MAF, all hardware and an sn95 fuel rail.. the last owner said the blower was rebuilt (so he says, no proof it spins up fine and impeller looks ok)

I have a stock rebuilt bottom plasma moly rings, balanced crank, stock e7 top end with valve job. Im in the process of getting some gt40p heads done and gt40 intake/explorer TB waiting too.

how reliable is that blower and are those injectors too big?
i will prolly do a rebuild on the blower with a billet impeller and better bearings if i need to.. i heard powerdyne isnt the greatest but for 300 bucks and me puttin some work into his notch back i figured thats a good deal...

what do you guys think? the car is and always will be a daily driver btw...

:nice: or :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Heres my experience with Powerdyne blowers. My cousin Bought a brand new Powerdyne bd11a kit and used it for 3 years no problems. The belt broke inside he sent it to 928 motorsports the rebuild didnt last 500 miles. He sold me the whole kit for a really good deal, i sent it to 928 Motorsports had a rebuild done, ran a 9 lb pulley it lasted 356 miles, belt broke. Sent it back to 928 motorsports had it rebuilt, it lasted exactly 356 again!! Sold the powerdyne on eBay bought a Vortech and have never looked back! If your gonna use a powerdyne dont go higher than 6 or 7 psi! 42lb should be plenty on ur setup

damn that sucks. under 500 miles is horrible, horrible. i have heard that they should never be ran more that 6psi.. but @ 9psi belt breakage is says alot.. i have heard more bad stories than good about this blower.. i do plan to keep boost to a minimum though.

did you ever run at 6psi? if so, how did it feel over stock N/A? and whats the pully sizes to run 6psi? im not sure what this guy was running when it was hooked up and im not sure the pully size..

shoot i might even get the set up just to flip it and buy a procharger or vortech :shrug:

any other stories?

damn that sucks. under 500 miles is horrible, horrible. i have heard that they should never be ran more that 6psi.. but @ 9psi belt breakage is says alot.. i have heard more bad stories than good about this blower.. i do plan to keep boost to a minimum though.

did you ever run at 6psi? if so, how did it feel over stock N/A? and whats the pully sizes to run 6psi? im not sure what this guy was running when it was hooked up and im not sure the pully size..

shoot i might even get the set up just to flip it and buy a procharger or vortech :shrug:

any other stories?

I have one on my car a BD11a running 10 psi mine was rebuilt by 928 motorsports also..has all the upgrades...better belt,impeller,bearing etc..I love it...I run a 87 GT convertible AOD with 3.55's and weighs 3778 lbs with me it...lol...all the bolt on in my sig..ON a stock motor...i ran a 13.3@103 with a 1.88 60ft..this car isnt tuned..its still speed density running 19 lb injectors with an FMU and i have a snow performance stage 2 water injection kit...That ET was my 1st and last run..LOL...i have no roll bar and you cant go faster then 13.5 in a convertible so im sure it has high 12's in it with some adjustments...Hope this helps you decide...

I have one on my car a BD11a running 10 psi mine was rebuilt by 928 motorsports also..has all the upgrades...better belt,impeller,bearing etc..I love it...I run a 87 GT convertible AOD with 3.55's and weighs 3778 lbs with me it...lol...all the bolt on in my sig..ON a stock motor...i ran a 13.3@103 with a 1.88 60ft..this car isnt tuned..its still speed density running 19 lb injectors with an FMU and i have a snow performance stage 2 water injection kit...That ET was my 1st and last run..LOL...i have no roll bar and you cant go faster then 13.5 in a convertible so im sure it has high 12's in it with some adjustments...Hope this helps you decide...

thats not bad at all. it sounds like its a very streetable car too! hows the meth injections work? he has that kit too still installed in the car but its not connected. i didnt talk to him about the meth injection kit cuz it looked all jacked up. what roll the that injection system play in part with he blower? how much was it to have the unit rebuilt with your upgrades? i heard that the fluidyne blowers run super great after they have been properly upgraded/rebuilt...

Unless you are getting the kit for a great deal, I would pass and look for a used Vortech. I had a BD11A on my 94 for a while and didn't see more than 4.5psi on the stock setup with stock heads even with the blower belt as tight as a banjo string. Rather than cranking up the boost and starting the problems, I sold the kit and went in a different direction. With all of the horror stories around even with the rebuilds and Powerdyne being extinct, I would definitely advise anyone else to do the same.

I have the BD11a in my stang other than the belt problems that every Powerdyne has it has been great , I have rebuilt the supercharger my self with the upgraded vain,internal belt and bearings, I also did the air vent in the case mod.. I am looking at making a belt tensioner for it this winter...

Unless you are getting the kit for a great deal, I would pass and look for a used Vortech. I had a BD11A on my 94 for a while and didn't see more than 4.5psi on the stock setup with stock heads even with the blower belt as tight as a banjo string. Rather than cranking up the boost and starting the problems, I sold the kit and went in a different direction. With all of the horror stories around even with the rebuilds and Powerdyne being extinct, I would definitely advise anyone else to do the same.

thats kinda what i was thinking... im just doing some electrical work and installing some front/rear springs for a guy and he was gonna pay me in parts for my work.. 17inch 4lug cobra R's with good tires, or the powerdyne supercharger with the injectors/MAF.. the injector set up is worth some good money but i cant imagine using 42#erz without a blower.. ill probly sell the blower after i polish it up and save up for a procharger.. i drove a 90LX with a procharger and 24#erz all stock engine and it was nice..

i got gears on the car, and the gt40p heads/intake in the works so hopefully the blower can sell...

thanks for the input guys... what else can i use 42#erz for if i dont use the powerdyne?

Both are phenominal blowers. Pro-Charger seems to make more power and for one reason only, intercooled! I went with Vortech, but you cant go wrong with either. If all out bad ass power is want you want, Procharger, if ease of installation with essentially the same power, Vortech!

My car makes boost almostly instantly...I see 10 psi on the gauge all the time...:shrug:

thats not bad at all. it sounds like its a very streetable car too! hows the meth injections work? he has that kit too still installed in the car but its not connected. i didnt talk to him about the meth injection kit cuz it looked all jacked up. what roll the that injection system play in part with he blower? how much was it to have the unit rebuilt with your upgrades? i heard that the fluidyne blowers run super great after they have been properly upgraded/rebuilt...

The car is very streetable i drive it to work everyday...lol...The meth injection works awesome...I had some pinging issues before the meth now I have none...:D..also i was able to advance the timing more to get more power with the kit...:nice:

what about procharger vs. vortech?

For a foxbody with a limited power threshold, you want the vortech, it goes on easier and the parts are plentiful.

As for the powerdyne, i probably wouldnt use it if you gave it to me for free.
Some saleen explorers received powerdyne kits, which were not emissions legal everywhere, and almost all are broken by now, repaired by 929 and broken again.

The low end vortech kit i think is under 2 grand new.
That's where i would put the money.

For a foxbody with a limited power threshold, you want the vortech, it goes on easier and the parts are plentiful.

As for the powerdyne, i probably wouldnt use it if you gave it to me for free.
Some saleen explorers received powerdyne kits, which were not emissions legal everywhere, and almost all are broken by now, repaired by 929 and broken again.

The low end vortech kit i think is under 2 grand new.
That's where i would put the money.

well i was on the fence about the whole powerdyne blower, but im going to get the blow from him, keep the injectors/MAF and polish the blower with my new polishing wheel :D then sell it.. its a complete kit thats probly 2-3 years old... it looks like its in real good shape i have to give it a good look next time i go to work on his car...

could i use the 42# injectors with a vortech? im thinking about this vortech one : P/N 4FA218-010L.

its cheap and i can get diff pullies for boost.. with the gt40p heads/intake/tb and 42# injectors/MAF (if it works with it) i should get over 300rwhp right?

thats kinda what i was thinking... im just doing some electrical work and installing some front/rear springs for a guy and he was gonna pay me in parts for my work.. 17inch 4lug cobra R's with good tires, or the powerdyne supercharger with the injectors/MAF.. the injector set up is worth some good money but i cant imagine using 42#erz without a blower.. ill probly sell the blower after i polish it up and save up for a procharger.. i drove a 90LX with a procharger and 24#erz all stock engine and it was nice..

i got gears on the car, and the gt40p heads/intake in the works so hopefully the blower can sell...

thanks for the input guys... what else can i use 42#erz for if i dont use the powerdyne?
Trade them to me for a good set of 30's and some cash.

well i was on the fence about the whole powerdyne blower, but im going to get the blow from him, keep the injectors/MAF and polish the blower with my new polishing wheel :D then sell it.. its a complete kit thats probly 2-3 years old... it looks like its in real good shape i have to give it a good look next time i go to work on his car...

could i use the 42# injectors with a vortech? im thinking about this vortech one : P/N 4FA218-010L.

its cheap and i can get diff pullies for boost.. with the gt40p heads/intake/tb and 42# injectors/MAF (if it works with it) i should get over 300rwhp right?
I bought that exact kit, just polished.

photo%201.JPG

Be aware though that to add boost safely it is more than just swapping the blower and crank pulley. You still need a fuel pump, bypass valve, etc.

I bought that exact kit, just polished.

photo%201.JPG

Be aware though that to add boost safely it is more than just swapping the blower and crank pulley. You still need a fuel pump, bypass valve, etc.

that looks nice under the hood. i have a walbro 255 with a new sender in my garage... im waiting to install both as soon as i get off my ass.(i also need to do the heater core...yuck) would it make a diff to install the 255 fuel pump with a basically stock motor? or should i wait still i do the blower? i have a camaro z8 i put a walbro in before i did my bolt ons (h/c/i, etc) and it seemed to be fine.. actually it ran kinda better..

how much boost are you getting? and how street friendly is your car?

that looks nice under the hood. i have a walbro 255 with a new sender in my garage... im waiting to install both as soon as i get off my ass.(i also need to do the heater core...yuck) would it make a diff to install the 255 fuel pump with a basically stock motor? or should i wait still i do the blower? i have a camaro z8 i put a walbro in before i did my bolt ons (h/c/i, etc) and it seemed to be fine.. actually it ran kinda better..

how much boost are you getting? and how street friendly is your car?
You should be fine doing the fuel pump now. The car just wont take advantage of the extra flow until the larger injectors go in. As far as the boost seen and the ride quality, I dont know yet. The car is out of commission getting the full suspension done. I should be able to tell you in about a week.