powermaster one wire alt help

superspec

Aug 14, 2006
ok i read several threads over the past few days but cant seem to find what im looking for. heres a pic to help i hope:

2007_0614foxbodystereo0017.jpg

there are 2 plugs from the factory, one 3 heavier ga. wire, one 3 smaller ga. wire. the alt. has a spot for 2 wires plus the charge wire. do i simply hook up the charge wire to the battery with a fuse and leave it be or do the factory wires need to be plugged into the alt?

thanks for the help with my noob question.

• Sponsors (?)

This is a tech question that normally would be better to ask in the Tech section, but I'll take care of you here:nice:

You could probably use those stock connectors, but the thing is that the stock wiring is not good enough for the stock alternator, much less a higher performance one. With my Powermaster one-wire alternator, I just simply ran a 4 gauge wire from the alternator through a circuit breaker to the starter solenoid (the side that the battery cable connects to).

You might measure the length you need and try to get a starter cable of that length, but one a little long may be better as you can always cut it down when you run it through your fuse holder/circuit breaker. Just go to the auto parts store and ask them if they have any that length and they'll look or maybe let you look. I ran my 4 ga wire down and wire tied it along the sway bar and then up to the circuit breaker.

You don't have to use a circuit breaker, but you should at least fuse it. You normally shouldn't blow fuses, but you'll want a spare fuse to throw in the glovebox in case you have issues. With 140 amp fuses, you'll probably spend at least $5 each, so I just popped $30-35 and got a circuit breaker so I can just simply reset it and not have to worry about keeping fuses, etc.

Here is a pic of my circuit breaker:

pic.php

thank you. i knew it was tech but i wasnt getting any responce there so i came here where there seems to be more action.

i understand the whole 4ga part. my main question is what do i do with the factory plugs and the terminal on the alt.?

The factory plugs are not used. You can zip tie them out of the way, or stuff them into the fenderwell etc. The terminal on the alternator is for GM applications only, it is also unused. Put the rubber cover back on that terminal. The Powermaster is a decent alternator, but their advertising, and their catalog descriptions are very misleading. They are not a direct replacement for our Mustang's alternator. I purchased one, and I was very disappointed that the factory harness was not utilized, and I had to run a new single wire. Also, the wire included with the Powermaster is not big enough to handle the amps that it puts out!! Assuming you got the 140 amp one? The Powermaster is a GM product, great for a one-wire hot rod application, not so great for our Fox body Mustangs. Bottom line; all you need to do is disregard your factory harness, completely, and run one wire, preferably 6 ga. or larger from the alternators gold power post/terminal, to your power distribution solenoid. According to powermaster, no fuse or circuit breaker is necessary, but I would install a mega fuse or a fuseable link of wire etc.

BTW, everything with the Powermaster functions normally, your voltage gauge and everything will continue to work. The only thing to remember is that the Powermaster will not turn 'on' with your ignition, you have to rev your engine, and the alternator past 2K or so to 'excite' the alternator, turning it on. You will know when its on, as your voltage gauge should jump and remain at 14 volts or so.

The only thing to remember is that the Powermaster will not turn 'on' with your ignition, you have to rev your engine, and the alternator past 2K or so to 'excite' the alternator, turning it on. You will know when its on, as your voltage gauge should jump and remain at 14 volts or so.

You can avoid that by running 1 more wire (a trigger wire) to the bottom spade terminal on the alternator. just take the stock wire connector, find the wire (green with a grey or red stripe) splice it to that spade connector, and when you turn your key on, it will trigger the internal regulator so you dont have to do the revving thing to wake it up.

Just my 2 hundreths of a penny.