Practicality Issues

OK, I'm planning on ordering my 05 in the summer if all goes according to plan, but I have a few reservations about it, here's the situation.

I've planned on getting a new car this coming summer for some time, my wife has an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it will be paid off by then and it's my turn. This car will be my daily driver. I have two small kids, 5 and 1.5 years old, both are in booster seats. For awhile now my plan was to get a nice sports sedan, originally I was looking at the Mazda 6. I looked at the Magnum to, but the price for the Hemi version was a little more than I wanted to spend, and to get it without the Hemi would be unthinkable. Plus the lack of a manual trans option really turned me off. Then I moved onto the new Subaru Legacy GT, what a hoot to drive and quick as snot for a fairly large 4 door family hauler. I was pretty much set on the Subaru, fantastic car for the money. I've seen the new Mustang since the NY auto show last year, and fell in love with it from the get go, but due to the above circumstances I never seriously entertained the idea of getting one. Then my wife saw that cornfield commercial, and she looks at me and says she absolutely loves the car and I should get it. I nearly fell off the couch. I then told her to make sure she wasn't yanking my chain, because that would really piss me off if she was leading me on. She wasn't, she was dead serious.

Now here's my question (sorry for the long lead in), has anyone tried to haul kids around in the back of the 05? I went down and looked at the car and as I feared the back seat is pretty small. It actually seemed smaller than the rear seats in my 71 Mach, if thats at all possible. But I figure a) my kids are small, so they are probably the only ones that will be able to sit back there comfortably and b) I'm never really carrying them around in my car for extended periods of time, we usually use her truck for long trips. Farthest I usually go with the kids is an hour drive to the inlaws and stuff like that, and I'm rarely called upon to do dad chauffer duty at all. I also initially had reservations about a RWD car as a daily driver in the NJ winters. After giving it some thought though I'm not to worried, its got ABS and traction control, and I cut my teeth driving vintage Stangs and Chevys in the snow and without the benefit of those computer do-dads. It's just that I've gotten complacent the last few years, I've been driving 4x4's or front drivers for so long in the snow I've forgotten what it's like. I'm fairly certain I'm still getting the Stang, I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried to use it for the occasional family duty. I figure I'm only gonna live once, and I grew up stuffed in the back of dad's Mustangs and survived it. I guess what I'm looking for here is some positive reinforcement. Don't get me wrong, I've got no delusions about the cars practicality, I just really want one!!! :D

• Sponsors (?)

Well, from what I hear the back seats are now buckets so they're more comfortable...but I dont think they have much more room than previous years.

I have to say that people complain too much about these back seats, I stuff four full size people (well, maybe around 5'9" ish) in my car for short trips no problem. Its not all that bad, just not desirable for long distances.

Your kids should be fine in the back, I wouldnt worry about it at all.

I have almost 6 weeks of chauffer duty in my new 05, and have no problem hauling the kids around. Normally there is just one in back, which is easy to accomodate since I don't have to move my seat at all. My small passengers claim that it is plenty comfy - and they really like the thrill of being in the Mustang. I'm lucky that our family has a larger car for the trips with luggage, etc. Good luck in your decision. Be warned .. these cars are addictive. You will find yourself making excuses to run errands.

My 12 year old granddaughter was OK in the back seat as long as the front passenger seat was moved up a bit. Otherwise, not really enough space. Definitely no space behind the driver seat (with me driving, anyway).

Ed

I say get the[ B]CAR[/B] and get rid of the kids!!! Just jokin sorry. Small kids + small rear seats = No Problems, and you get a killer car! I have a 01 Cobra Convert. and my 16 yr old son, 6' 220 lbs fits (ok he has to go in side sattle).

The back seat on the 05 is ridiculously small. Smaller than the 99-04's. But, if it is only going to be for quick jaunts or the kids are small(as yours are) then you should be alright. Don't try to stick anybody behind the you, especially if you are 6 feet tall or over. Bound to be some complaining going on.

re:

I'd say go for it since the kids are small and you may not get the chance again if your wife decides to change her mind. Wait too long and your kids will be old enough to either not fit in the back seat or will want to drive it themselves!! With the Jeep as the main hauler for the kids, you probably won't be driving them around much anyway.

Not to be the one throwing water on the picnic here- but the issue is not AFTER they are in- it's what you might have to do to GET them in the back.. Access- the access to the back through the doors might be an issue. I (almost) dropped my first-born putting him into a baby seat of a (much larger) two-door car- and went out and traded it for a 4-door that day.

Today he is a healthy, 26-year old owner of an 05 Mustang GT. I am a (slightly older) owner of an 05 GT myself. Maybe father and son can share these great cars because I didn't drop him on his head putting him in the back. Food for thought.

Try it before you buy it!!

Hey my first post....!

Here is my two cents...I have a similar situation. I have a 14 month old son, and my wife has the practical vehicle (Honda CRV) so she does most of the driving. I took the car seat into the dealership and tried it out in the '05 and it was not too bad getting it in and out. My opinion is that the small back seat is a blessing for getting a small child in. I previously had a new Alero coupe which has a fairly large deep back seat. Getting him in there was a different story. I found that I had to either crawl in the back or reach across the car (with him in the middle position of course).

I figure if some families can have multiple kids in a Hyundai, I can make do with a Mustang.

Appreciate the comments

Thanks guys, all good comments. We have decided that when we go for the test drive we're gonna throw both booster seats in the back and actually stuff the kids back there and see what it looks like. When my first born came along my wife was driving a 2 door Pontiac Grand Am, and I remember that getting her into a baby seat was a little bit of a pain. The GT has even smaller openings to the rear seats, but the good thing is that the kids are now in booster seats and they can pretty much climb in themselves (my 5 year old is not a problem obviously, and the 1.5 year old all I have to do is put him over the sill and he scrambles right into the seat), so I don't have to worry about dropping one of them on their heads like with an infant. If we were considering heaving a third kid then this wouldn't even be a point of discussion, I'd forget getting the car altogether, but I'm 99.9% sure we're done. Also, I'm only 5'7", so I sit with the seat kind of in the middle (maybe a slight bit more forward with a manual trans car), which should open up a little bit of leg room in the back on the drivers side. I sat in the back of the car myself when I went to look at it and I'll agree, the seats are pretty comfortable themselves. The problem is, partially head room from the sloping roof, and mostly leg room, which is non existent.

Don't anyone listen to Red97TT (he drives a Supra after all), he's just pissed because his wife won't let him get a Mustang. In fact, his wife wanted to have a little conversation with my wife about it. Dave, your wife is hereby forbidden to speak to my wife, at least until after I get the car. :rlaugh:

make sure you get the leather so it will be easier to clean up. sure you can do it you can also drive a car with your feet but that don't make it a good idea. I'd get a volvo for the kids just to be safe.

I know right where you are coming from I had a super modified Civic, sold that because my new wife had a 2000 Si civic that I then modified BUT she had two kids and me being the new dad and having the school drop off duties it sucked getting the 2 year old out of the car seat in the back seat. So I eventually sold the car and bought a Mazda 6I-S (4 banger with all the looks of the V6 Sport) because the 4 doors was way easier when dealing with the car seat.

Fast forward 2 years a couple months and the youngest is now 6 (sans the car seat) and its time to ditch the 4 door and go back to driving a sports car.

So I ordered me up a 05 Mustang, plus the older one will get a kick out of being dropped off to school in a new stang...

I'd get a volvo for the kids just to be safe.

Well, my daily driver right now is a Volvo 850, kind of why I want the Stang. I love the car, very comfortable and well built, it is completely loaded with options, but it can't get out of it's own way (it's not a turbo). I toyed with the idea of keeping it just for family duty and winter driving, but I've already got one toy in the garage and trying to justify the extra expense in insurance and payments for a car that will see limited use is going to be hard. Plus, I'm imagining that the Stang wont exactly be cheap to insure, so somethings gotta go.

Who is in the car more? You? Or your kids?
Stop worrying about whether the kids will be all nice and comfy for a 15 minute ride to the grocery store, and buy the car you want.

You have nothign to worry about anyway. First of all, kids are small...they wouln't be cramped if you stuffed them in a burlap sack and threw them in the trunk. Second of all...if they complain, you turn around and say "Quit whining or I'll tire you up in a burlap sack and throw you in the trunk!"

I have also kinda wondered about how these cars will perform in the snow, since I am from Minnesota. I need a car to replace my :puke: '96 Neon winter beater, and I also want a new toy to replace (or share stable with) my '94 GT, so I just may get an '05 GT to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Around here, it is car-guy heirecy to drive your nice car in the winter and expose it to road salt, but I can't imagine any car could rust out in the 2 or 3 years I keep it until the next Mach 1 comes out though, right? :D