practically new clutch grabs high?

Sonicaceman

Sep 28, 2004
i put in a clutch about 500 miles or so ago and i adjusted it several times underneath and at the firewall where i have the firewall adjustment. The clutch grabs good and strong but it grabs high and not in the middle like it should. i'm wondering if i have the cable that attaches to the fork tightened down too much.... the clutch works but it is practically new and the pedal seems tough to me also. anyone have any similar issues like this, and if so reply with some input. thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If it grips too high, the cable is essentially to short... You probably do have it too tight at the clutch fork... it should be just barely snug at the fork, then adjust it at the firewall

I just had my clutch out and the disk looks fantastic for being in the car for 4 years...it looked practically new. However, mine lets out WAY high. I suspect the cable is stretched.

:thinking: uuuuumm...yeah. Now that you mention it that doesn't make sense. So what could be the cause then?

It's not a common issue. I'd be sure the cable isnt binding, and otherwise make sure no one has screwed with your car. I put a sharpie mark on top of my FWA once it's dialed in. That way I can see if the FWA walks (one of them does). Mine tighten (the fwa itself, not the cable) though (move the point of engagement closer to the floor).

clutch

good input, i'm guessing it's too tight near the fork, i will have to get under it when the weather clears and back that nut off. i try and use a pair of vise grips to make sure the cable doesn't bind, because when you tighten or loosen the nut the cables want to twist. oh fyi i have an upgraded steel cable and the adjustable clutch quadrant. i will try loosening this, thanks guys.