Premium Fuel

burkcs

Jan 26, 2008
The Shelby GT requires premium fuel. Can I safely run 87 octane in the car to save on fuel cost?

I was thinking since they had knock sensors that the computer would pick up any pinging and would retard the timing.

What are your thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

Nope. While it will detect that and try to compensate for it, it will run like crap and you'll lose a lot of gas mileage. Over time, you still could cause problems with the engine. It's not worth it. If you want to drive a Shelby GT, you've gotta pay the price. Otherwise, get a handheld tuner and get a custom 87 octane tune from a tuner like Brenspeed or Bamachips.

The Shelby GT requires premium fuel. Can I safely run 87 octane in the car to save on fuel cost?

I was thinking since they had knock sensors that the computer would pick up any pinging and would retard the timing.

What are your thoughts.
The best advice is to always run the lowest octane recommended for your car by the manufacturer; in your case, that's premium fuel. In the case of a Shelby GT one has to wonder why you'd spend 35 large on a vehicle then try to save pocket change by using lower octane. How much will you save? Someone can check my math, but in my area premium is $0.20/gallon more than regular. If you get 18 MPG overall (not unreasonable) and drive 12,000 miles a year you'll save a whole $133 each year by burning regular. Not worth it to me--you make up your own mind.

It's a Shelby GT, not a GT500.

You need to run premium fuel. Knock sensors will contribute to minimal ignition timing adjustments, not to the degree you would need by changing your fuel from premium to regular or even mid grade for that matter.

I have to agree with everyone else. As discussed on the Shelby forum, the car will run on the regular, but in a sense, will adjust for the regular fuel, causing the car to run like cr@p. Also, you will lose gas mileage..

There are many other reasons.. but some simple math will really show that it's not much of a savings in the long run..

I really wouldn't let $.20 more per gallon of fuel be the deciding factor of whether or not to buy a Shelby GT... :shrug:

bro, do the math. couple dollars savings switching from 93 to 87 is not worth it at all. be happy with the car and use premium :)

savings lets say there is a .30 cent difference between super and regular.

.30 x 16 gallons = $4.80 <<< you serious?

I put in regular 87 for my GT. I probably shouldn't but the gas price is too damn high. :shrug: I would normally put in 89. She runs better on it I believe.

You know what else is weird, the other day i filled up with gas and the computer said i burned about 6 gal. of fuel. Well according to the pump i pumped like 7.8 gals. ............Something isn't jiving!!!!! Help guys! Whats going on? Is the pump just saying that so i can buy more gas?

Joe:(

I put in regular 87 for my GT. I probably shouldn't but the gas price is too damn high. :shrug: I would normally put in 89. She runs better on it I believe.

You know what else is weird, the other day i filled up with gas and the computer said i burned about 6 gal. of fuel. Well according to the pump i pumped like 7.8 gals. ............Something isn't jiving!!!!! Help guys! Whats going on? Is the pump just saying that so i can buy more gas?

Joe:(

I just ran into the same situation. Apparently the gas station pump accounts for fuel density (changes in volume due to temperature) while the on-board computer only accounts for fuel flow.