Preouts?

Discussion in 'Mustang Sound & Shine All' started by Black35thGT, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Black35thGT

Black35thGT New Member

Im adding subs to my setup. Does the mach 460 have preouts for subs or do i need to get a new head unit and redo everything?

2. rustang94

rustang94 New Member

I'm pretty sure there are no preouts. but you can get a module that taps into the speaker wires to turn them from a high level input to rca low level input to plug into your amp.

3. JokerWylde

Founding Member

If you think you'll end up upgrading other parts of the system later on, you might want to look into putting a new headunit in there, although the swap from the 460 system seems to be a bit of a chore from what I understand (I didn't have to deal with it in my car).

But yeah, you can just add the subs/amp to the existing system if you prefer, or if you're on a tight budget.

Good luck!

4. mike93lx

mike93lx New Member

line out converters do the job, but the stock ford systems kinda suck for tapping into for subs. ford dials out a little bass when you turn the volume up high, so you lose some output from your subs. if you want to do more with the system at some point, try to do at least speakers and a deck at the same time, that way to can bypass all the the existing ford crap and not worry about interfacing. just run new speaker wire from the deck to each speaker location.

5. Ruffrider

Founding Member

I'd def. upgrade to a new HU when adding subs. Just me though. Im not a fan of line converters.

6. saxman9801

saxman9801 New Member

You need a level converter, and if you tag it right it will sound great, you need to tag it off the passenger side amp in the rear, there is a plug with 4 wires two are black with green and two areblack with white, these are the four you use, it will sound just fine if you don't want to get rid of the factory head unit, good luck let me know if you have questions Dan