Pressure Plate Bolts for T-5: No one has them in Stock?!? Where to buy?

monk302

Founding Member
Apr 18, 2001
New Jersey
This is crazy. So I need the 6 bolts for my pressure plate to clutch (PN: M-6397-A302) and no one has them. I have called Summitt, Jegs, Ford Racing Dealership and they are all on order till June. What the heck?? I can understand some parts being out but 6 friggin bolts. Come on.

What can I do, I really want the car on the road this weekend before Memorial Day. Does anyone know where I can get these?? Could I go to Home Depot and try some Grade 8 hardware?? Additionally, does anyone actually know the dimensions on the bolt and the amount of threads?

Thanks,

Mike

BTW, I already have the dowels installed.

• Sponsors (?)

You can get by with grade 8's, but the bolts are metric (Sorry don't know the size, but they are 3/4" or there abouts). Maybe you can take the flywheel with you to the hardware store to be sure you get the right pitch & thread size. Don't skip the dowel pins, YOU NEED THEM!

If you decide you want to go with grade 8's and need a set of dowel pins, I've got an extra set you can have (Just drop me an e-mail).

Ken

Reactions: 1 user
Strokedd66 said:
You can get by with grade 8's, but the bolts are metric (Sorry don't know the size, but they are 3/4" or there abouts). Maybe you can take the flywheel with you to the hardware store to be sure you get the right pitch & thread size. Don't skip the dowel pins, YOU NEED THEM!

If you decide you want to go with grade 8's and need a set of dowel pins, I've got an extra set you can have (Just drop me an e-mail).

Ken

Ken,

Actually I have already inserted the dowel pins so they are already in. Heard that I would have some clutch chatter if I didn't have them. Thanks for the offer though.

BobV said:
Walk into your local Ford dealer. The M6397A302 kit uses production hardware:
The pressure plate bolts are part #: N602549-S51M
and alignment dowel pins are #: D1FZ-6397-B.

I will call my dealer. I had called the Ford Motorsports dealer for what they have in the catalog but I didn't have any luck. Thanks Bob.

Alright, get this. I just call up the Ford dealership with the number BOBV had listed and they are asking $7.50 a bolt. So to get all them it would be $45.00. WTF. How can the Ford Motorsports cost 13.88 for six along with the dowels and generic Ford ask $7.50 per bolt. That is f'ing crazy. Now I am real pissed. Maybe this is how Ford is planning on removing itself from them being labled as junk bonds.

Don't use that ARP part # - it's 5/16-18, NOT metric - been several 5.0 guys strip flywheels/break bolts trying to use them - ARP's listing is WRONG!

$7.50 a bolt??? :damnit: Does that include lubricant??? :fuss: :fuss: :fuss: You might TRY another dealer, OR...

Next idea - Contact Shannon & the guys at http://www.50resto.com 1-866-50RESTO - they usually have the bolts in stock (their part #HDW-7563).

monk302 said:
Alright, get this. I just call up the Ford dealership with the number BOBV had listed and they are asking $7.50 a bolt. So to get all them it would be $45.00. WTF. How can the Ford Motorsports cost 13.88 for six along with the dowels and generic Ford ask $7.50 per bolt. That is f'ing crazy. Now I am real pissed. Maybe this is how Ford is planning on removing itself from them being labled as junk bonds.

I think hes mistaken, that should be $7.50 for a package of bolts. I bought the dowels and bolts from the local dealer for less than $40.

TT670 said:
I think hes mistaken, that should be $7.50 for a package of bolts. I bought the dowels and bolts from the local dealer for less than $40.

I am thinking the same thing now. That would be ridiculous. I will call up tomorrow and see if they can actually look at the kit and see what they say. The parts counter person told me it was for 1 bolt, but maybe they were wrong. Otherwise I will order it from 50Resto.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!

Just to make sure, I have new flywheel from Ford Racing that I bought from Summit (FMS-M-6375-A302). It is a 28 oz, 157 tooth, billet steel, and 10.5". Will this use 8mm metric or the 5/16x18??

Thanks

No believe me they mean $7.50 a bolt I just went through this ordeal last week. I got the Mr. Gasket ones they are 5/16 X 1" and they worked perfectly and make sure to use some loctite while you are at it. They only cost me like $9 total. If worst comes to worst just go to the hardware store and get a set along with some lock washers. There is nothing special about the ford ones.

"Don't use that ARP part # - it's 5/16-18, NOT metric - been several 5.0 guys strip flywheels/break bolts trying to use them - ARP's listing is WRONG!"

:damnit: I just ordered them, does ARP make bolts for the late model 302?

By the way, what's the torque specs on these bolts? I have a chiltons for the 65-73 mustangs that shows 45-50 ft lbs. I snapped one of the ford bolts before I got close to that.

Alright everyone,

So I called up Summit Racing to get the scoop on what exactly is going on. For the flywheel I have(http://store.summitracing.com/defau...earchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp) and the diaphram clutch I have I need 8mm bolts. However, the only company that makes them is Ford Racing and they are on backorder until June 5th. The tech I was on the line with looked into all the other companies, including ARP, that make bolts for them and could not find anyone who makes 3/4" 8mm bolts. So that means I have to go drive around and hope that someone has these bolts at a hardware store.

hurt said:
"Don't use that ARP part # - it's 5/16-18, NOT metric - been several 5.0 guys strip flywheels/break bolts trying to use them - ARP's listing is WRONG!"

:damnit: I just ordered them, does ARP make bolts for the late model 302?

By the way, what's the torque specs on these bolts? I have a chiltons for the 65-73 mustangs that shows 45-50 ft lbs. I snapped one of the ford bolts before I got close to that.

It might be different on the old style 11" clutches, but for a T5 and 10.5" clutch requires them to be torqued from 18-24 ft/lbs.

Hey Guys,

So I called all the FMS Dealers around my house and in NJ. No one had the kit I needed so I called the nearest place in NY. They are not a dealership but a speed shop and they had the 8mm bolt kit. After my order they had two kits left and are charging $16.95. I spoke with Glen, here is there info.

S-K SPEED RACING EQUIPMENT
ROCKVILLE CENTRE, NY 11570
516-766-2225