Pro Products Intake Manifold Typhoon

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I'm looking at getting upper and lower intake on my 5.0. I want to know what everyone thinks of these? and i'm not looking to spend alot of money. i'm on a tight budget. if you dont like this one make some other suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

Get it. It's a knockoff of the Edelbrock Performer RPM, so you'll possibly lose some low end on a stock engine, but you'll feel a SOTP gain overall. You may have to spend a little time with a grinder to clean up casting flash in the injector bosses and gasket match it, but it's very much worth the savings over the Edelbrock piece in my opinion.

reason why i am saying the gt40 heads and cobra intkae is becasue you can get both of them, used, sometimes with 1.7 rockers for like $700. While it will not be the most powerful car on the streets, adding a FMS b or e cam will put you in the high 280-290 range.
also, try searching on that PPI intake. i have heard horry stories on fittment with the front ears and the distributor, casting and finishing of the intake.

Seems to have been a time when these units were hit or miss on quality. Lately I've played with two or three and they all seem to be pretty good quality peices, they seal nice to the block, clearances and alignment are good, and runners seem pretty decent. Mine was installed for looks originally on my old engine..it was OK not a real power mod with an all stock motor but gave me some upper RPM kick, but I put it back on with my present engine and was quite nicely surprised by how well the engine did on the rollers...easy meeets the needs of my H/C/I car and aside from a little work on the exterior polish finish, the runners were decent enough that I left them untouched.

get it, its a great intake, ive had my up and down thoughts about it, but come to the conclusion it is a great intake, especially for the money. Its the exact same thing as the performer just alittle different rpm range. You can get some gt40p heads for around 300, i got mine complete with scorpion rr's for 290, and found them local so no shipping. Get a TFS stage 1 cam for 160 with that combo, i doubt youll be at 350 somewhere close to 300 though, but definatly mid to low 12's with traction.

mob said:
get it, its a great intake, ive had my up and down thoughts about it, but come to the conclusion it is a great intake, especially for the money. Its the exact same thing as the performer just alittle different rpm range. You can get some gt40p heads for around 300, i got mine complete with scorpion rr's for 290, and found them local so no shipping. Get a TFS stage 1 cam for 160 with that combo, i doubt youll be at 350 somewhere close to 300 though, but definatly mid to low 12's with traction.

Did you install it and if you did how were the ports. people are saying you have to grind them. and how was the fit. did you have to modify anything?

savegoodautonfg said:
Did you install it and if you did how were the ports. people are saying you have to grind them. and how was the fit. did you have to modify anything?

The ports on mine were a little rough, but nothing serious. If I wasn't so anal, I would have let them be. The fit was great went on like a stock piece no problems at all. I like the intake a lot same thing as a Performer RPM at half the price.

mob said:

http://www.trickflow.com/product/camsandvalvetrain/track_cams/track_cams_ford.asp

Which one is stage 1? and also will that give me a kick ass idle sound?

I've used a Typhoon for a few years now, started with it and a 75mm TB on the stock long block. Picked up a few HP, definitely worth it. Then I put on some TW heads that I ported myself with a TFS stage 1 cam, definitely a top-end engine now! Of course I got a buttload of other mods to go with that stuff; bottom line is the Typhoon works great. For some vids of my car go here:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.showvids&friendID=6396853&n=2

What im wondering about it the sickest rumble idle i can get from what cam? i dont know what cam i would get.

I'm looking at this setup.

Pro Products Typhoon Intake
GT40P Heads
What cam?

Also about roller rockers and lifters?
Do i have to and should i replace?

I've heard a lil about 1.6, and 1.7 Roller Rockers but don't know what that means?

Maybe some links for the roller rockers? i dont really want to change anything when getting new roller rockers. idont know if i have to but lemme know

I have AFR 165's 58cc with TF #1 cam and a typhoon intake that I gasket matched myself and cleaned up flashing from cast.Be careful, I had a bit that really did a job on that aluminum and may have #3 port too big,not too bad though as the ports on the heads are nice and flared a little for $1300 they better be good. Already broke third so haven't driven it but about 1500mi. Plus I'm chasing a problem, when I start it up it runs great for as long as I drive but when I shut it off and restart it it skips a little,I have to let it sit overnight b-4 it runs right agian, I feel it's in ignition, I've changed plugs,wires,C&R,coil,o2's and a diffrent eec-v from my friends car. Gonna try TFI module, fuel pump relay??
ANY IDEA'S????????????????????????????

Be sure to mock it up if you do grind on it and put gaskets on heads, set lower, mark gasket so you can tape it in that exact position over ports on lower so when you scribe the gasket around the intake ports on lower you'll have a perfect match port to port as the intake gaskets go on heads and have a tab to locate them, you may know this but I'm sure everyone will agree with this as any turbulation that deep is NO GOOD.

Am I correct Guru's?