Probe vs DSS stroker kits.

• Sponsors (?)

I was introduced here locally to someone at Probe "Anthony" by my friends at my engine assemblers and he not only took care of anything and everything i needed but made sure he went above and beyond to make sure i got what i needed, i told him my budget for a kit and what my needs/wants were and not only did he meet those needs he was able to do so cheaper then i originally intended, he even found a vendor for me to unload the junk kit i bought off craigslist to help out, and the day i went to pick up my parts, they didnt just give me my parts and tell me have a nice day, they gave me a very nice embroidered button up shirt, gave me a tour around the facilities all while they loaded my parts into my truck for me, and when i dropped off my kit to my engine builder he had nothing but good things to say about the kit, other than a faulty crank bearing (which was replaced without question) it was awesome, i would recommend them highly, if you want PM me and i'll give you Antony's contact info and he will be able to help you out

331 because I was reading a little about piston dwell time and how the longer dwell time of a 347 makes it slightly more prone to detonation. I have a supercharger, so I figured I'd be better off that way.

PM'd on the other thing.
PM returned :nice:

I would talk to Jim about that and see what he thinks...
He also has a pretty good connection with a custom cam guy (Jay Allen), which means you get one stop shopping LOL

Seriously though,
I have such good experiences with these 2 guys, that I will be returning to them every chance I get.

What ever you decide though, I wish you luck,
jason

331 because I was reading a little about piston dwell time and how the longer dwell time of a 347 makes it slightly more prone to detonation. I have a supercharger, so I figured I'd be better off that way.

PM'd on the other thing.

i was under the impression more dwell time allowed expanding gasses to escape and new gasses to enter more easily, so im not sure why that would be more prone to detonation, as long as your tune is done right i dont see it being a problem, but i could be wrong

Not locked in on the 331 thing. I was reading a thread by a good speed shop owner/builder up here and he was of the opinion that the 331 was the one to go with. FWIW, I'm primarily going with the stroker kit because even with my trick flows, I'd still have to notch the pistons.
You may or may not need to touch the pistons.
If you are buying a quality stroker kit, then you probably won't have to worry about it.

For example, the relief cuts in the Probe pistons I have from Jim, have been cut for standard AND TW valve placement.

Also,
Cam selection is a major factor in getting clearance... and it isn't 'max lift' that you need to be worried about.
(another reason to consider the Jim/Jay option)

jason

If you are buying a quality stroker kit, then you probably won't have to worry about it.

For example, the relief cuts in the Probe pistons I have from Jim, have been cut for standard AND TW valve placement.

Also,
Cam selection is a major factor in getting clearance... and it isn't 'max lift' that you need to be worried about.

jason

I already have a cam. Comp 284hr. It will be too close with the stock pistons. I'm going to get dished pistons with the stroker kit, so I will have plenty of room.

Also,

jason

same for my pistons, i was originally gonna go with N/A setup but changed my mind as i wanted more power so it leaves me head choice kinda limited but these were their 4.0cc flat top pistons
PICT0055-1.jpg
great quality everything in that kit

I already have a cam. Comp 284hr. It will be too close with the stock pistons. I'm going to get dished pistons with the stroker kit, so I will have plenty of room.

Most times you'll find the "dish" doesnt start untill you get *about 5mm in from the edge of the crown. The valve pocket often extends to within 2mm of the edge, so you'll still want to clay the outside edge of one of the reliefs, just incase. (better safe, than bending nice new stainless valves... :D )

The 331 (imho) will usually have a more atractive rod ratio and pin height for oil control... the dwell time and acceleration rates as well as max piston speed are also factors to take into account with a blower motor.
(ring flutter is a baaaad thing :rlaugh: )

BUT as long as you're not going totally banzai (32lbs / 1K hp etc...), you should be ok with either choice. (31 or 47)
:nice: