problem removing stock shifter

midlifecruzer

Jan 20, 2003
I'm having a helluva time taking off the stock shifter in my 02 GT. Sort of a magic incantation is there a trick to it? All the bolts are off, I even rigged a fulcrum and lever to pull up on it but the the rope snapped. I might try a stronger cable but am I in danger of damaging the trans if it is so hard to take out the shifter?

• Sponsors (?)

midlifecruzer said:
yeah. right up to the point of removing the shifter. Just a little worried that if I use more force,I might break something. Should it require that much effort to pull off?

Ya mine sucked also, I used a small claw hammer and used the tranny casing for the rounded portain and put the claw part under the lip of the shifter base, applied a little leverage and it came right off, no marks to anything. Good luck. RTV sucks sometimes.

MineralgreyGT01 said:
Ya mine sucked also, I used a small claw hammer and used the tranny casing for the rounded portain and put the claw part under the lip of the shifter base, applied a little leverage and it came right off, no marks to anything. Good luck. RTV sucks sometimes.
Youdaman, GT01. The claw hammer did it. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.