Problem with '88 GT Clutch

Ruffrider

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2001
Citrus Springs, FL
Hey,
My friend from Police Academy has a 1988 Mustang GT and a couple days ago he was driving to school, heard a loud pop and now the clutch grabs right after you start bringing your foot up, probably an inch off the floor.
Driving is extremely difficult because the clutch grabs so low. It is also harder getting it into gears. Oh yeah, every time you push the clutch pedal down you hear a "click". Any idea what his problem might be?

Thanks
John

• Sponsors (?)

The stock Quadrant and pawl (its self adjuster) has prolly stripped out. They are plastic and need to be upgraded. there is another thread at the top right now about it. I did a temp fix on mine, and it helped till I got the parts and time to do it. There is a bracket next to the header that holds the cable housing. I pushed the housing as far as I could towards the front of the car, then put a hose clamp around the metal part that is attached to the housing. This takes up the slop they have right there and gets the clutch disengaged from the flywheel a little farther. It made mine easy to drive again.