Problem With Sct Chipped Car

99FiveOh

10 Year Member
May 20, 2006
J-Ville, FL
Mods in sig and the car is dyno tuned with an SCT switch chip. About a year ago the car all of a sudden started acting weird when started. The check engine light would blink exactly three times, then the car would idle up to about 1300 rpm and hang there for approx 15 seconds then it would either stall or try to stall and catch itself. After this the car runs fine and seems to have no issues.

While it's doing this I can smell a lot of fuel being dumped into the exhaust but afterward the exhaust smells just like it always does.

Well it went away after a couple weeks and now it's reared it's ugly head again. It's very embarrassing because if I start the car and attempt to drive away it will do this and makes the car look like a piece of crap!

I don't have a wideband yet but plan to get one. Either way, this is not normal behavior and the CE light blinking on startup is not typical EEC behavior so it must be the SCT chip trying to tell me something.

If anyone has knowledge about SCT chips and why it might be doing this please let me know. I've never had so much trouble with Mustangs until I got into 94/95's. They are just chock full of gremlins!

• Sponsors (?)