problems persisting

95silvergt5.0

Nov 29, 2004
well i just dropped $100 on a fuel pump. My car would not start this morning again. This sucks. It turns over fine but it refuses to start. Im buyin a code reader but where is the port on our cars.

• Sponsors (?)

when i do get it started it runs great, and if i put it on the 35 amp charger it will start most of the time...

Recap the symptoms for us please. It seems like it always cranks, but won't always catch. WHen it wont catch, either messing with the inertia switch or putting a charger on the battery allows it to start..?? That or is a big one, as the issue might be upstream.

One more possibility: When it wont start, turn the key off. Turn the key to run and let the pump prime. Instead of trying to start the car, turn the key off. Turn it back to run and let the pump prime. Turn it off and to run again. Now try to start the car.
It might be a fuel delivery issue and hosing around with the inertia switch or charger simply creates enough cycling of the key to build fuel pressure.

Good luck.

I'm with JT on this one. You said in your other post that when you cycled the pump a few times (turning the key to the accessory level and back to off) the car would crank up. You also said that once you got it cranked and cut it off it would crank right up.

This has, to me anyway, fuel pump written all over it. It sounds like you are not getting enough pressure on the lines on a cold start. The reason it cranks right up after running for a bit is because there is still pressure in the fuel lines, if I'm not mistaken.

one question: The new fuel-pump isn't doing anything for you, right? From reading this I wasn't sure if you have installed it or not.

Also....what is your battery voltage? I'm sure you've prolly checked this, but you never know.