Procar Rally and Belts

xj220

Founding Member
Sep 15, 2000
Hey, I'm getting back into the whole Stang thing again (I bought a Harley a year ago that has sidetracked me) and I'll be turning it into a daily driver. The first point of concern is getting new seats and seat belts (to appease my mom, you know how they are). I've always been looking at Scat ProCar Rally seats and from what I understand, they should bolt right in with the right adapter. Does anyone have these and are they are problem for tall guys (6")? Also, I'd like to get better seat belts, maybe a 4 pt harness but I won't be putting a cage in there and from what I have seen in searches you have to be pretty specific in where you mount them. I appreciate any advice/help. My searches have turned up pretty fruitless.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Rallys and had to lower the seat pan + remove the brackets, but I'm 6'3 and need room for a helmet now and then. I'd say you should be fine. They seemed to bolt right in with the adaptor.
In my other stang I have a 5pt and have put two eyes into a reinforcement in the package tray. Behind the headrest I made a slotted plate to keep the shoulder straps from slipping to the sides.

I have the Rally's and they did just bolt right in. I am on the shorter side at 5'9" but I have some friends over 6' that have riden in the car and it wasn't a problem for them. Depending on what kind of steering wheel you have it might be tight getting in and out. I have a 13" dia. Grant steering wheel and it's pretty snug sliding my legs under it. It's not a problem for me but if someone is a little "beefier" than me I could see that being an issue.
Can't help you with the seat belts, I just have lap belts right now.

I have them also, they do bolt right in with their tracks, I also have the stock steering wheel. I am 6'1" and thin, and I fit in the seats very well, they are very snug and comfortable , although because of the size of the stock steering wheel you have to slide your leg in a certain way when getting in or out. Head room is fine for me, even when I have had a helmet on.

Also IMO they really look like they belong in the car compared to other aftermarket seats I have seen in early stangs, I just ordered the matching rear upholstery as well.

I am 6' and most of it in the torso. I find the seats are a little high when I look out the front window. I beat that by reclining them another notch and all is well. I have a tilt column and smaller wheel so I don't have any problems with that. I don't notice any head clearance problems even when I put on a Dr. Suess hat. I think that could be because when I am driving the car the top is down. LOL!

That's good to hear, thanks for the replies. In terms of the seat belts, I could stay with lap belts, but I'd really like to upgrade to 4 pt harnesses. Is it possible to attach the upper belts to the back of the seat? They may not be as secure as attaching to a roll bar, but I can't imagine anything being worse than just the lap belt (assuming correct angle of the belts off the shoulder).

I've been thinking of the pro car seats and 4 pt belts as well. I was condemplating running the shoulder belts throught the headrest and down to the rear seat bolts. There is no good/safe place for shoulder belts on a convertible.

Don't some cars (GM comes to mind) actually mount their shoulder harnesses to the seats? Or are these seats like the stock ones in that they just fold over without a latch?

hey thanks for starting this thread, i have a similar question.

i'm also 6'1 and mostly in the legs, and i am swapping a tremec into my 65. i've had sparco racing seats in my mustang once before, and i had the same steeringwheel issues as everyone else, but i was wondering if there was some chair that you were able to get a really good leg clearance on. my legs are long, i need lots of room between me and the clutch pedal and i don't think that that will happen very easily with the current setup i have. is there some option for extending the stock rails on the car, or os that something that i will have to do custom like?

sorry if it feels like i am steering this in another direction, but i think it's just extending the convorsation about 6' ppl and their possible needs : ). lol thanks for any answered questions and previous ones that have already been answered

hey thanks for starting this thread, i have a similar question.

i'm also 6'1 and mostly in the legs, and i am swapping a tremec into my 65. i've had sparco racing seats in my mustang once before, and i had the same steeringwheel issues as everyone else, but i was wondering if there was some chair that you were able to get a really good leg clearance on. my legs are long, i need lots of room between me and the clutch pedal and i don't think that that will happen very easily with the current setup i have. is there some option for extending the stock rails on the car, or os that something that i will have to do custom like?

sorry if it feels like i am steering this in another direction, but i think it's just extending the convorsation about 6' ppl and their possible needs : ). lol thanks for any answered questions and previous ones that have already been answered

fox body mustang or fiero seats are great for what you're asking, they are actually a little shorter than the stock early model seats and i believe they will also move back farther than stockers as well, at least my 86 mustang GT seats did anyway. i used to drive with the stock seats back as far they would go and with the fox body seats i actually have to move them up 2 or 3 notches. they are also a very comfy seat IMO too, plus TMI has upholstery that matches the early Pony or Mach 1 interiors too. if you wanted to match the seats to early standard upholstery i bet they could do that as well on a custom basis.

the rally seats are fine with an after market wheel, but a little of a pain to get into when you have a stock wheel.

the other seats that DK is referring to are the Elites high backs. they have more lumbar support and are similar to a newer mustang seat and it doesn't help that he is so tall :D

As far as the GM seats that you mentioned that have the harness in the seat, those seats are engineered to NOT fold in a collision. Most seats will fold in a hard enough collision. That said, IMO it would be better having a belt in the seat than not at all, but you would be better off with a 3 point that has a properly mounted shoulder strap. Why do you need a 4 point harness anyway?? If for racing, NHRA doesn't require it until the car can best 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Once it does that you need a 5 point and a roll cage anyway. Shoulder harnesses need to be mounted above shoulder height to help prevent spinal compression in the event of a crash. If they are not, then the forward motion of your body tightens the straps and the low mounting compresses your spine.

That makes sense with the GM seats. I guess I've always liked the looks of a 4 pt harness. Both Mustangs Plus and NPD make three point conversions and I'm looking into them now. I'm leaning towards the MP ones since they are hidden below the door line. Anyone have any experience with either setups?