Prochamber in Cali?

What are the penalties for running an off-road mid-pipe here in California. I know that California has one of the strictest emission laws in the country. But what can happen if I get caught? Is it just a fix-it ticket? I love how the Mac Prochamber sounds when combined with some flows. That is what I want to get for my ride. I just got some 2 chamber flows welded in & it just doesn't sound loud enough for me. My mid-pipe seems to be the problem. I'm running the stock H with 4 cats. I need to get rid of them asap.

• Sponsors (?)

i heard it was a $1k fine...don't quote me on that though.

I have a friend here that's been running an offroad X for a while (about 3 years I think), and he's been pulled over a few times for speeding and for having a loud exhaust :rolleyes: , but never got in trouble for his midpipe...

I just called the CHP office and spoke to a CHP officer. He says that it depends on the officer that is issuing the ticket to you. You could get a fix-it ticket or a fine. If fined, the fine amount is judged by the court. It could be hundreds or thousands. He didn't know the amount for sure.

Is it worth it here in Cali to run an off-road pipe? Should I risk it? I need opinions.

Well, like I said, it can be UP TO a $5000 fine, its not $1k... It is a federal law so it includes all states.

As for whether or not to risk it. I sure as hell wouldn't if I was in Cali. I've heard more stories of prick cops from there than anywhere else by far... especially when it comes to modified cars. I'd just get a high-flow mid-pipe and maybe some louder mufflers if you really want to be a lot louder.

I just got the 2 chamber flows a couple days ago. I been reading the post here on StangNet for awhile debating which mufflers to get. Everyone says that Flows are one of the loudest. When I got them welded on, it was slightly louder than stock. Nowhere loud like everyone says. I was very disappointed. Now I'm stuck with Flows and don't want to change them out because that was hard earned money spent.

I thought X-Pipes don't sound good with chambered mufflers. They only sound good with straight-through muffers. X-Pipes makes a loud raspy, Nascar like sound. While the H-Pipes make a deep, hollow, American Muscle sound. That could be wrong but that's just what I read about here at StangNet.

I woulnd't risk an off road mid pipe in CALI. Fines are around 5K and you have to do the install yourself, u won't be able to find a shop to do the install coze they can get fined pretty bad.... my0.02....just get a high flow mid pipe like bassani or SLP...
even L/T, u can forget them. When it's smog time, you will fail visual inspection...sucks to be in cali but oh well....we go the pacific ocean and a lot of good looking ladies... :)

00BlackBeautyGT said:
I thought X-Pipes don't sound good with chambered mufflers. They only sound good with straight-through muffers. X-Pipes makes a loud raspy, Nascar like sound. While the H-Pipes make a deep, hollow, American Muscle sound. That could be wrong but that's just what I read about here at StangNet.

yeah, x pipes are more raspy, and h pipes are more burbly. I love my magnaflow catted x and catback...

If you really want that burble, I'd go with some L/T's and a catted H...I think BBK makes both.

00BBGT, here's the solution to your problem: http://www.mustangracing.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=63&cat=258&page=1

As for how loud the 40s are, they are much louder than stock, don't fool yourself there. They may not sound that much louder inside the car, but have someone drive your car away from you under hard acceleration and listen to it.

As for X-pipes sounding bad with flows... that has got to be the most annoying rumor that goes around. It has been disproven time and time again and yet people still spread it. Chambered mufflers CAN sound raspier with an X-pipe, but it depends on the design of the pipe. If you've ever heard a Dr. Gas O/R X with flows, it is the furthest thing from raspy. It sounds incredible, like an H down low, and like nascar up top (nascar is NOT raspy btw).

99SilverGT said:
00BBGT, here's the solution to your problem: http://www.mustangracing.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=63&cat=258&page=1

As for how loud the 40s are, they are much louder than stock, don't fool yourself there. They may not sound that much louder inside the car, but have someone drive your car away from you under hard acceleration and listen to it.

As for X-pipes sounding bad with flows... that has got to be the most annoying rumor that goes around. It has been disproven time and time again and yet people still spread it. Chambered mufflers CAN sound raspier with an X-pipe, but it depends on the design of the pipe. If you've ever heard a Dr. Gas O/R X with flows, it is the furthest thing from raspy. It sounds incredible, like an H down low, and like nascar up top (nascar is NOT raspy btw).
So what's a good X-Pipe that'll sound good with Flows besides Dr. Gas. Dr. Gas only has them in an off-road version. I don't want to spend extra cash to weld in Cats. What's a good company that carrys them with cats already installed.

00BlackBeautyGT said:
So what's a good X-Pipe that'll sound good with Flows besides Dr. Gas. Dr. Gas only has them in an off-road version. I don't want to spend extra cash to weld in Cats. What's a good company that carrys them with cats already installed.

My Brother in law has the Magnaflow Catted-X on his with 40 series and it sounds mean. A little racier up top, but it definately has the flowmaster sound. Its a little bit louder, but not a ton.

If you really want to go louder the MRT H-pipe will be better.
Its probably a couple notches up from the Magnaflow pipe.

00BlackBeautyGT said:
What are the penalties for running an off-road mid-pipe here in California. I know that California has one of the strictest emission laws in the country. But what can happen if I get caught? Is it just a fix-it ticket? I love how the Mac Prochamber sounds when combined with some flows. That is what I want to get for my ride. I just got some 2 chamber flows welded in & it just doesn't sound loud enough for me. My mid-pipe seems to be the problem. I'm running the stock H with 4 cats. I need to get rid of them asap.
I am running a bbk/o/x with 40 series deltas. It is loud and I havent had any problems yet. I know the rpm points to quiet it down a little. As for the cops, I just hope i don't get popped by the wrong one. I think that a cop who knows about hot rods and how they sound without cats, will be the only one who will know you don't have any. He will probably have a hot car himself if he knows the sound. I doubt if he will get up under the car and look for cats. You live in the land of street racing so it might suck for you. I stay in Northern cali and everyone out here has loud exhaust...trucks, oldschools, camaros,stangs...it is easy to blend in. Just tell him you got the new 1/2 chamber supper magnaflowborlas.lol

As long as you don't like to rev like crazy and aren't running a straight through type muffler, you should be ok as long as you keep the rpm's down.

I've had my prochamber for a while without and problems. *knock on wood*

if you do put the catted X or H pipe on, be sure to put the stocker back on for your smog check. the only mid pipe thats legal on 96+ cars must use OEM cats, and that means all of them. you might be lucky and find a shop that doesnt check, but they have had undercover cars with hidden cameras going to all the shops in santa barbara, and laying down big fines. to see if the part you are gonna use is legal go here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php