Prochamber install. Stripped Header bolt

DiabloRojoStang

Founding Member
Aug 9, 2001
Maryland
Installing a prochamber. Went to bolt up the passenger side and the bottom manifold bolt stripped. Where can I get a new bolt and what's the best tool to use to remove the old bolt? What's a good lubricant to loosten up the bolts?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you strip the nut or the stud?

You could go to napa and get a new stud for it, they aren't hard to change. If you have trouble getting it out, soak it in WD-40 or hit the end of it like a nail with a hammer to break it loose, then twist off with vice-grips.

If it's the nut, try to cut it off with a dremel. I've done this before on a 95 GT with a grinder.

crew_dawg16 said:
Did you strip the nut or the stud?

You could go to napa and get a new stud for it, they aren't hard to change. If you have trouble getting it out, soak it in WD-40 or hit the end of it like a nail with a hammer to break it loose, then twist off with vice-grips.

If it's the nut, try to cut it off with a dremel. I've done this before on a 95 GT with a grinder.
I stripped the stud. Not much room to get vice grips up in there

Well depending on where you stripped the stud at...I would use the double-nut method to back it out if there is enough "room" to put those two nuts on there...

The Napa part number is 600-1819 for the new manifold studs (comes with two studs and nuts)...

I just put on a Prochamber on my friends car yesterday :nice:

Heat will also help that stud get out of there and grab it real good with some vicegrips at what every angle you can and start twisting...

If all else fails bolt the prochamber up and you'll probably get a leak...and take it to a shop so they have access to a lift and other tools and just pay them a small fee to get it out...that is what I did on my first Prochamber install a couple years ago :D

What you should do is Soak it in WD 40 and let it sit for about 1 hour or longer, use a little torch of some sort and heat the bastard up, then just use your socket and with one jerk it should come off....and remember jerk it don't push the wrench.

Dremel is always an option, then head over to NAPA and get their stud kit and a new gasket for the passenger side.

And always use 6pt sockets ... learned that the hard way when I stripped the nut on the drivers side and went to the hardware store for a replacement.

DiabloRojoStang said:
Prochamber's in! Thanks to Shalenboy and a couple other Tools, we got it in. Sounds pretty nasty even with the stock cat-back. Nice gains in the upper band. Just need to figure out which cat-back to get.

Mac Catback w/ 3.5inch tips...not like I'm bias or anything... :)

I personally haven't heard anything better sounding on the 4.6L when comparing midpipe/catback combo's