prochamber vs. x pipe

deadlast

Mar 30, 2005
Belmont, MA
believe me, i have read alot of threads of which o/r pipe but nothing about prochambers. the flow path of an x pipe seems alot smoother than a prochamber, but i would like some other opinions. i know x pipes are good for more top end power and the exhaust tone blends together more so it sounds like a more modern engine. so what im asking is how does the prochamber compare to an x pipe sound and powerwise on a stock car? im looking at mac for either system

• Sponsors (?)

i dont believe that you have searched and read about x-pipes and nothing about the prochamber. Its out there.

Anyway, have u seen the inside of a prochamber? 2 pipes in and 2 pipes out of a big hollow box. The prochamber performs the best(they say) out of all the pipes. The sound of it is a mixture between an h and x. At idle, it sounds similar to an h but a little quieter and at wot it sounds like an x.

Search and you shall find. :nice:

The Prochamber is supposed to help exhaust gas scavenging and make the exhaust gas temperature increase, providing better flow. Performance wise, they are supposed to beat out any off road H-pipe, but I'm not sure how they have stacked up against the off road X-pipes. The sound in my opinion is the best part. I wish it would have been my first mod. instead of waiting. It has a very throaty sound, like what you think of when you think of a muscle car. The sound of my car with the Prochamber is much deeper all the way through the RPM's unlike my friends with a Bassani X-pipe, which gets higher pitched and raspy on the top end. I would definitely say go with the Prochamber, you won't regret it. Also, fit was great, just in case you wondered.

94MustangGT5.0 said:
The Prochamber is supposed to help exhaust gas scavenging and make the exhaust gas temperature increase, providing better flow. Performance wise, they are supposed to beat out any off road H-pipe, but I'm not sure how they have stacked up against the off road X-pipes. The sound in my opinion is the best part. I wish it would have been my first mod. instead of waiting. It has a very throaty sound, like what you think of when you think of a muscle car. The sound of my car with the Prochamber is much deeper all the way through the RPM's unlike my friends with a Bassani X-pipe, which gets higher pitched and raspy on the top end. I would definitely say go with the Prochamber, you won't regret it. Also, fit was great, just in case you wondered.

where did you get yours and how much? does it have factory locations for o2's?

deadlast said:
where did you get yours and how much? does it have factory locations for o2's?

I bought mine on e-Bay brand new, some guy bought it then sold his car and never got it put on. I got a pretty good deal at $175 shipped to my door, but you can get these for around $205 or so if you shop around. And yes, it does have factory located holes for the 02 sensors, so no extensions will be needed. The kit comes complete with all necessary hardware.

Go for the O/R X-pipe.

Here's my experience. I had FMS shorty headers with Bassani O/R x-pipe. Read alot about how good the Pro Chamber was. So when I upgraded to Mac LT's I ordered a MAC Pro Chamber. The fit was just a little off matching up to the LT's.

The Sound - :notnice: it rumbled, but not what I expected. I noticed a big jump in engine temp ~ 20 degrees or more.

Performance - Torque was up in the low range, and some what in the mid range. I had it dyno at 281.1rwhp / 308 lbs torque with no chip, and timing @ 10 degrees and the LT's.

I had the O/R X-pipe put back on and the engine temp dropped back down to where it originally had been.

Performace has better with the x-pipe. a little less in the low, but the mid to high screamed !!!

Sound - The o/r x-pipe wails at 3000 rpm's. People turn an look. I drive thru the parking of Publix's and the guys bringing in the carts stop me and tell how good the car sounds. With LT's it's not as raspy as it sounds with the shorty headers.

Looking at the ProChamber on the inside it's like a big hollow block wiith inlet and exit points, but it looks like the exhaust would just bounce around in there.

Just my 2 cents here, go for the o/r x-pipe, you wont regret it. :banana:
Dewman :nice:

I can't imagine there is any perceptible difference between X, H and prochamber mid pipes on an otherwise stock (or nearly stock) car. I'm talking from a SOP perspective. Maybe a few horsepower on the dyno, so you will never notice that.

In that case, pick the one you think will sound the best to you.

Green Machine said:
Go for the O/R X-pipe.

Here's my experience. I had FMS shorty headers with Bassani O/R x-pipe. Read alot about how good the Pro Chamber was. So when I upgraded to Mac LT's I ordered a MAC Pro Chamber. The fit was just a little off matching up to the LT's.

The Sound - :notnice: it rumbled, but not what I expected. I noticed a big jump in engine temp ~ 20 degrees or more.

Performance - Torque was up in the low range, and some what in the mid range. I had it dyno at 281.1rwhp / 308 lbs torque with no chip, and timing @ 10 degrees and the LT's.

I had the O/R X-pipe put back on and the engine temp dropped back down to where it originally had been.

Performace has better with the x-pipe. a little less in the low, but the mid to high screamed !!!

Sound - The o/r x-pipe wails at 3000 rpm's. People turn an look. I drive thru the parking of Publix's and the guys bringing in the carts stop me and tell how good the car sounds. With LT's it's not as raspy as it sounds with the shorty headers.

Looking at the ProChamber on the inside it's like a big hollow block wiith inlet and exit points, but it looks like the exhaust would just bounce around in there.

Just my 2 cents here, go for the o/r x-pipe, you wont regret it. :banana:
Dewman :nice:
it would be cheaper, and looks like it flows better, but i keep hearing the rave of the prochamber. only thing im worried about is that the x might sound more high pitched ---> a 4 cylinder. but then again i have heard some where they sound like ferrari's. ill try my luck. is mac's x a good choice?

deadlast said:
it would be cheaper, and looks like it flows better, but i keep hearing the rave of the prochamber. only thing im worried about is that the x might sound more high pitched ---> a 4 cylinder. but then again i have heard some where they sound like ferrari's. ill try my luck. is mac's x a good choice?

lol i doubt any 5.0L is going to sound like a 4cylinder, im eventually going with the dr. gas X copy, cant think of the name tho,but dr gas x suppose to be one of the best X pieces

i have shorties, o/r x, and a mac catback and it sounds great. it wails at wot and at about 2700 rpms. i have also had an h pipe with this setup and i like the x much more, its just not as loud. i'd go with the x if i was making the decision. it would be tough to make a 5.0 sound like a 4banger.

I have the mac prochamber off road version with FMS shortie headers and 2 chamber flowmasters and 3 inch dumps I love the sound but the install was very horrible it took over 3 hours to make sure there were no exhaust leaks and it was done at a muffler shop up on a lift. I was not a happy camper I should have bought a UPR X pipe instrad alot cheaper and they fit mo betta!

I had just the Mac cat back before i did headers and pro-chamber

what a difference.. i cant still remember the first time we started it up..

I was like, wow it finaly sounds like a real car..

I like the sound better than H and X.. supposed to make more power too.

I have a video clip of full mac long tubes w/Prochamer at the track... sound soo good on a 302, thats what i want mine to sound like.

Im ordering my 331 from DSS today.. going to get some longtubes and a new prochamber for it. can't wait.

The only time I have seen a Prochamber have a bad fit is when we put it on a friend's 87 GT years ago and tried to use the exhuast hangers on the transmission, should have skipped those, LOL. Now it didnt line up good with the headers.

Put one on a 96 GT, was pretty easy. Friend put his on his 93 notch and didnt have any real problems with it. It's Mac, so quality is gonna be hit or miss. They sound GOOD though.

If you want to hear a Prochamber with Pro Dumps watch this video, the car Im in from behind is a 93 notch with that setup, if you turn it up you can hear what it sounds like as the rpms go up.

http://www.srvidz.com/powerstrokeHEMI.wmv