Procharger

wwalker777

Apr 13, 2005
I'm new to superchargers and need some info. I've read all I can find about the Procharger but I'm still confused.

1. Does it really not kick in until you hit 4500 rpm.
2. How hard are they to install? Do I need to take it to a tune shop, because I live in the middle of no where. Keep in mind I have very limited mechanical abilities.
3. Do you need to replace any other engine parts for it to perform properly?
4. Do you need to re-tune the computer.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, like I said I'm new to this, but I'm very interested. I would love the extra H.P.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

wwalker777 said:
I'm new to superchargers and need some info. I've read all I can find about the Procharger but I'm still confused.

2. How hard are they to install? Do I need to take it to a tune shop, because I live in the middle of no where. Keep in mind I have very limited mechanical abilities.

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, like I said I'm new to this, but I'm very interested. I would love the extra H.P.

Thanks

Centrifugal based chargers develop a majority of there boost at 3k+

6-10 hours depending on the installers experience and tools

No the prochargers come with everything they need for install.

Prochargers have a custom ECU flash designed for the kit.

wwalker777 said:

Thanks
I'd say avout 3K with max boost around 4500

I have had two cars with a procharger and both blew the motor with there preprogrammed tune. It should be fine BUT definitely take it and have it dyno's to measure the air/fuel ratio to make sure it is safe.

Aside from what comes with the Kit I would get a Kenne-bell boost a pump. Also, for 8lbs or more boost....forge the internals (at least pistons and add ARP rod and head bolts)

The re-tune comes with the Chip provided by ATI...have it double checked though.

Vandil said:
Centrifugal based chargers develop a majority of there boost at 3k+

6-10 hours depending on the installers experience and tools

No the prochargers come with everything they need for install.

Prochargers have a custome ECU flash designed for the kit.

In our experience, you will notice gains before you even see a positive pressure. You will see full boost by 3000 RPM. Even a properly sized turbo has no perceivable lag. Remember, a V-8 has alot of bottom end torque already. Lag is most often associated with a 4 banger.

6-10 Hours is a bolt on affair. It is stated as such because there is no need for internal mods.

And yes, the Diablo Predator and a set of injectors is included in the kit.

I would be happy to help if you need... We have played with a LOT of Prochargers. I am certain there will be others here happy to help as well!

I used to have a 94 z28 with a procharger that made 642 rwhp.

I loved the procharger but if you cant afford to rebuild your motor you shouldnt install one period.

I dont care how safe someone says they are with proper tune and the proper air fuel you are still at risk.

If it was really safe then Procharger or any company would back up your motor and thats not going to happen :(

The boost is based on rpm btw and the higher you rev your engine the more boost its going to make.

I have a 2001 Lightning so Ive seen the light of boost from both sides
and yes its lots of fun but be ready to pay the price as Ive seen many engines go kaboom.

A blower is going to void your warranty. Also be carefull about posting your mods here as Ford is watching believe me .

The one thing good about a Pro Charger is that you dont have to drill into your oil pan so maybe you could uninstall one without leaving a trace but like I said I wouldnt post about it here if your going to take the risk.

Also if you can afford a rebuild then you could probably afford the gt500
which believe me is going to be cheaper than a new gt pluss a rebuild and blower and all the labor involved.

Be verry carefull my friend :)

Ronnie, are you joking? I have had blowers and turbos on at least 10 cars and have never had 1 problem with them. Most of the cars had factory blocks and internals. Hell no a s/c or turbo company is not going to warranty your motor because 1/2 the people out there do not get their cars tunes properly and they have no idea how to respect and maintain a forced induction car. If you keep it safe with boost levels and a/f ratio, you will be fine! Of course you cant beat the hell out of something, over rev it, miss shifts, etc either and expect it to live.

Hey Stangcrazy302gt the difference between the 8-9psi kit and the tuner kit is this, the tuner kit doesn't come with injectors or with the SCT Xcalibrator so the chip is up to you and whatever size injectors you want, probably 42lbs would be a good choice otherwise its the same, you can also get a 7-8psi pulley instead for the same price, there isn't that much info other then price and stock boost in their full brochure which is sitting in front of me just says 445rwhp and well into the 11's hope that helps ya :)

Turbochad If you have owned 40 forced induction cars then you probably have the money to buy new engines as well.

Most people here have never owned a forced induction car so Im warning
the ones who are thinking of trying it but really dont have the extra $ to play the game :)

I used to work at a performance shop and there are guys out there that tell their wives they are just getting a tune up and then come out of the shop
with a blower :)

Anyway if you dont have the extra cash or a backup car then its really not
a great idea.

Another thing to think about is that gas prices are almost $3 a gallon
where I live so if you plan on getting on the boost all the time its going to cost some $:)

Nice mustang btw :)