production block 351w question

TURBO80LXCOUPE

May 31, 2007
does any one out there know how much a production 351w block
can handle power wise?im trying to decide on buying a coast high perf
427ci stroker s/b that has 4340 con rods and crank and judging on the prcie tag it a production block or i was thinking of having one built for high comp
and going back to n/a carb,so my basic question is how much power can they handel relibly aside from internals?thanks joe formerly redrumracing

• Sponsors (?)

They can handle much more than a 302. The specific amount is arguable. The stock internals are strong too, although the crank journals are too large. What are your performance goals? I think desired ET's are a better benchmark than vague hp goals.

i want 600-700hp at the flywheel.i would like to run 9.80-10.30 et.and if i have to throw a small amount of nitrous on the car i would.problem is i dont know
what comp the s/b from chp would be and i probly would have to run AFR 205.
but im getting tierd of dealing with the stupid issues with my turbo system,it possibly my injectors but i still wouldnt mind going back to n/a

Turbo:

Of course it is all up to the whims of nature... That said, in all the research that I did to develop the build of my 408W, I came to the conclusion that the stock 351W block "should" be able to handle up to 700 HP... That said, it might break at 300 -- who knows? If you absolutely positively cannot handle a broken block, then I would suggest you get a dart block... My build is a stock block, all forged internals, AFR 205's, 10.5 compression, Jay Allen high lift/short duration cam. I'm looking for it to take me deep in the 10's and perhaps into the 9's with a little nitrous...

Good luck...

i want 600-700hp at the flywheel.i would like to run 9.80-10.30 et.and if i have to throw a small amount of nitrous on the car i would.problem is i dont know
what comp the s/b from chp would be and i probly would have to run AFR 205.
but im getting tierd of dealing with the stupid issues with my turbo system,it possibly my injectors but i still wouldnt mind going back to n/a

What kind of issues? Even the most basic N/A 700 hp combo will have issues.:nice:

Nate

i know part of the issues are computer related.but the car will foul out a set of plugs in about 1 min no matter what fuel pressure.and no matter what plug i use.
then under boost in first and second its fine pulls hard no problems and
as soon as i get above 4000rpm in 3rd 4th 5th the power surges,fuel press
fine,boost isnt fluctuating,valves are adjusted fine,and i know i will have problems
with a n/a motor but if i do put a diff motor i might go back to using a carb.
right now im kinda at a loss with the car i cant even drive it so its been parked for 3 months ever since i finished the turbo sys.i did wide band the car with an
innovate lm-1,idiel was around 13.5 cruise was around 15,first and second were
12.5ish and 3rd and higher were any where from 17-20.i am only running 10psi
of boost and i know for a fact my pumps good and the volume is there.
i have been leaning towards my injectors,i am using lucas 42lb inj
but no one seems to have had any use with this brand:shrug:

i know part of the issues are computer related.but the car will foul out a set of plugs in about 1 min no matter what fuel pressure.and no matter what plug i use.
fine,boost isnt fluctuating,valves are adjusted fine,and i know i will have problems
right now im kinda at a loss with the car i cant even drive it so its been parked for 3 months ever since i finished the turbo sys.i did wide band the car with an

Stock computer? Where do you live?

Let me clarify: You are fouling the plugs and the wideband recorded 17 to 1 A/F ratio in thrid and fourth?

Let me clarify: You are fouling the plugs and the wideband recorded 17 to 1 A/F ratio in thrid and fourth?
If your running a fmu, throw it away, Do you have a fuel preasure regulator, that is boost referance. What mass air meter are you running? give the specific's on your fuel system and you turbo system hardware, it's a simple fix!!!!!

If your running a fmu, throw it away, Do you have a fuel preasure regulator, that is boost referance. What mass air meter are you running? give the specific's on your fuel system and you turbo system hardware, it's a simple fix!!!!!

i am running an aeromotive by pass regulator that is boost refrincing,my mass
air is a C&L 80mm with 42lb sample tube,lucas 42lb inj,aeromtive a1000 pump,
-8an feed lines,-10an pickup,-6an return,probe fuel rails,sumped fuel cell.
my turbo system consists of a 62-1 turbonetics turbo,turbo xs 48mm waste gate,
50mm tial blow off valve,vibrant intercooler(core size 25"x12"x3.5")
intercooler piping is 3",the rest is home done with a set of shorties.
i am using my maf as a blow thru.

yes it fouls them before the car even warms up,all sensors are new.

yes stock computer and i live in bellevue,problem is it fouls them so bad i cant even drive the car to get it tuned and i dont have acess to a truck or trailer.
but motor will be coming out soon i just picked up a better looking shel to transfer
all of my stuff into,so i dont think im gonna be driving it till next year.

i am running an aeromotive by pass regulator that is boost refrincing,my mass
air is a C&L 80mm with 42lb sample tube,lucas 42lb inj,aeromtive a1000 pump,
-8an feed lines,-10an pickup,-6an return,probe fuel rails,sumped fuel cell.
my turbo system consists of a 62-1 turbonetics turbo,turbo xs 48mm waste gate,
50mm tial blow off valve,vibrant intercooler(core size 25"x12"x3.5")
intercooler piping is 3",the rest is home done with a set of shorties.
i am using my maf as a blow thru.

yes it fouls them before the car even warms up,all sensors are new.

yes stock computer and i live in bellevue,problem is it fouls them so bad i cant even drive the car to get it tuned and i dont have acess to a truck or trailer.
but motor will be coming out soon i just picked up a better looking shel to transfer
all of my stuff into,so i dont think im gonna be driving it till next year.
Where did you put the mass air meter? I think your meter is bad or it's to far away from the throttle body, is the mass air meter in the stock location? What fuel presure are you running at idle with the vac hose disconnected?

Where did you put the mass air meter? I think your meter is bad or it's to far away from the throttle body, is the mass air meter in the stock location? What fuel presure are you running at idle with the vac hose disconnected?

Not only that, but are you sure it's the 42lbs sample tube, is it in the right direction, is the meter facing the right way, what year of computer are you running/wiring harness?

Nate

Not only that, but are you sure it's the 42lbs sample tube, is it in the right direction, is the meter facing the right way, what year of computer are you running/wiring harness?

Nate
plus the c&l meter suck!!! Can you find a pro-M? So no fmu, that's good, you have a boost referance fuel psi regulator, your base fuel presure should be between 35-38 psi and for every pound off boost it should raise 1 psi, What are you seeing at say 6lbs of boost? 17 to 1 a/f ratio is super lean. Where do you live?

Where did you mount the o2 sensor's? Are they in the stock location or in your crossover pipe?

o2 sensors are about the same didtance as stock from collecter,i am thinking of puttintg them in my down pipe

plus the c&l meter suck!!! Can you find a pro-M? So no fmu, that's good, you have a boost referance fuel psi regulator, your base fuel presure should be between 35-38 psi and for every pound off boost it should raise 1 psi, What are you seeing at say 6lbs of boost? 17 to 1 a/f ratio is super lean. Where do you live?

base fuel press 40psi ive tried any where from 30-60psi.psi does increase
1psi per 1psi and i live in bellevue in the eastgate area.

the meter is from my freind and he had 42lb inj and orderd direct from c&l and yes the meter is facing the right way.the computer harness and comp are from a 88gt
california car w/stick& mass air.

meter is about 1.25-1.5 feet from t/b.scanned car yesterday and threw a bunch
of emmision codes but no codes on any of the important sensors.meter is basicly in the stock position.there is 6 inches of straight pipe before and after maf.
fuel press 40psi.