Professional Mechanics help needed!

M9AbC

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2001
Florida
Hey. I am a 21yo mechanic in a GM garage. I have been there for about 4 months now. I have an Associates in Auto Mechanics, I went to school for two years.

Anyways my question to you are were can I find out about my rights and obligations as a mechanic???
This is a topic rarely if almost never talked about? Few people ive talked with know very little about this subject.. Yet are jobs and peoples well being is at stake.
Could someone please help me find and answer to my qeutions.

Thanks,

Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

I also play the mechanic game. I dont know what you would call it in the states but up here we call it a labour board they have all the regulatios and rights pertaining to all occupation types.

I supose it all depends how your payed. It's different for commision oposed to hourly and straight time is also different so I guess it all depends. I am payed straight commision nothing else so I am treated like a subcontractor of sorts.

My biggest beef is that I cannot claim my tools on income tax..... But a salesman can claim his gas :mad: several thousand dollars later I just get to smile and eat it :( . thats why I am going back to school for idustrial systems engineering :nice: I hope I will like that job much more. I personaly hate being a mechanic sure the pay is awesome (relatively speaking) and I get to be my own boss of sorts, but it is such a thankless job with almost no benefits (im not talking medical or dental type benefits) but the kind where people like you, and you dont age prematuraly. Just sucks that ppl come to you because they have to not because they want to :( .

Anyway im done ranting hope that helps

SPEED FREAK said:
I also play the mechanic game. I dont know what you would call it in the states but up here we call it a labour board they have all the regulatios and rights pertaining to all occupation types.

I supose it all depends how your payed. It's different for commision oposed to hourly and straight time is also different so I guess it all depends. I am payed straight commision nothing else so I am treated like a subcontractor of sorts.

My biggest beef is that I cannot claim my tools on income tax..... But a salesman can claim his gas :mad: several thousand dollars later I just get to smile and eat it :( . thats why I am going back to school for idustrial systems engineering :nice: I hope I will like that job much more. I personaly hate being a mechanic sure the pay is awesome (relatively speaking) and I get to be my own boss of sorts, but it is such a thankless job with almost no benefits (im not talking medical or dental type benefits) but the kind where people like you, and you dont age prematuraly. Just sucks that ppl come to you because they have to not because they want to :( .

Anyway im done ranting hope that helps
I couldn't have said it any better myself!!! :nice: :nice: :nice:

because aparantly the governments believe that would lead to unesessary spending :notnice: they ask stupid questions like "Do you need every one of these gadgets?" and you reply sarcasticly no I just thought that my 10,000 lb porta power would look cool mounted on a wall. They dont seem to get it it's like we're not real people or something. Something new comes out and makes my life easier I'm gonna get it. But thats not allowed because "I didn't need it before" but try explaining to a government official driving a Benz that, this particular tool didn't exist before but it makes my life easier so of course I need it now. But you are arguing with someone with no concept of reality so it doesnt matter. Thats just the way the world is you know... NOT FAIR.

Ryanwoodz said:
Can anyone help me with my question?

Thanks,

Ryan :shrug:

I too am a profesionall mechanic. You can deduct your tools, uniforms, union dues, etc, however, you must file itemized,(no EZ forms). There is a formula for determing how much you can deduct, it's not dollar for dollar.

I agree it's not all that great being a wrench (other than pay). I've been doing it for 15 plus years, It'll make you old fast especially working at a dealership. Any way ,I guess I'm not exactly sure what your question is? Do you mean your rights in regards to customers, your employeer or what?

Eric.