Professional Products Intake

TN89LX5.0

Jan 5, 2007
East TN
Couple of questions..I was in a performance shop yesterday and seen they had a polished Frofessional Products intake for 499.00. I have not seen that many folks use their throttle bodies but havent heard of anyone running the intake. How good are they? Does anyone use one or know someone who does?? I have been wanting the BBK SSI intake and saving for it (tests and magazine articles I read had good things to say) but recently read that many people are not liking them after getting it. So I am again researching.
Just some additional info on planned future mods. I will have the motor pulled and at the very least do a basic rebuild (and take care of any thing that may be necessary). I plan on getting heads to install with the intake, of course a bigger throttle body and MAF is also going on at the same time as well. I had planned on doing one piece at a time but figure I wont accomplish anything by putting a nice high flowing TB, MAF and intake on a factory set of heads. In the end and once I save up the money I hope to add a supercharger. So to recap, who knows what about the Pro Poducts intakes and am I correct in my plan to upgrade?? Thanks for any info and help.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually it's a very popular intake for the mustang as an alt to the RPM from Eddy..I ran the Eddy intake and now the Typhoon. Initially there were quality issues but as of late the finished products have been pretty decent. Mine went on the car without any issues and the ports were really quite good..I decided to go without any portinf or grinding to the ports and had AS GOOD results as to what I had with my original Edelbrock intake. Remember the intake is not ideal for a stock headed N/A car...though I did run it in stock form some yrs ago you sacrafice some bottom end power for mid upper RPM gain. The polish finish is decent and as I can state is really quite durable and lasting..I have had zero issues with dulling or oxidization.
...as for a pic...sure I can provide a picture :)...I know you didn't ask but I had my photobucket account open :rlaugh: :SNSign: :SNSign: the picture below is 4 yrs after purchasing (this last fall) the intake and really is the only polished item under the hood that I don't really have to work to maintain the finish...again decent quality casting IMO
zeengine.jpg

Attachments

• zeengine.jpg
    zeengine.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 44
basically yeah...the typhoon is more a higher rpm intake better suited to a engine sporting an aftermarket cam and better flowing head...you tend to sacrafice bottom and SOME mid for better HP and TQ often found in the upper range. As I said..I ran the intake in stock form and found the car was still a great street car but I also ran 3.73 so the RPM tended to climb faster keeping me in the rpms better.

Thanks for the info..looks good!! I actually like having a broad power band, I enjoy running 0-60 b*lls to the wall so I want to keep as much torque as possible. It runs great now but I know it will be much better after the parts are on. Just gotta work the OT and save me some money!

i have the ssi sitting in my room right now, once i get my motor together im gonna throw her on. I bought it just because im sick of seeing all the eddies, trickflows, cobras and ty's and just wanted something a little different.

I have one too, it flows very well. Anyone who says it's junk is just basing that off the fact that they're not made in the US. Oh well. You can get them cheaper than $499 though, look on ebay. Heck, you can get a used one on Corral or here on the classifieds for under 300. Their resell value sucks, but that's good for people who want them ;)

The problem with buying products like the Typhoon is it eventually puts the original manufacturer(Edelbrock) out of business. Edelbrock can't compete with a company with no R&D and less quality controls. What would your opinion be if you designed a part, tested it, refined it, and marketed it. And right after that, someone took one of your parts, sent it to china where patents don't count, and sold it for less than it cost you to make it. Maybe it's just me, but I'll support the company that designed the part and knows it in and out. :flag:

The problem with buying products like the Typhoon is it eventually puts the original manufacturer(Edelbrock) out of business. Edelbrock can't compete with a company with no R&D and less quality controls. What would your opinion be if you designed a part, tested it, refined it, and marketed it. And right after that, someone took one of your parts, sent it to china where patents don't count, and sold it for less than it cost you to make it. Maybe it's just me, but I'll support the company that designed the part and knows it in and out. :flag:

It's an american company that had the shop in china produce the intake for them....very little currency is actually leaving the country as the production cost are quite low....the materials for the most part likely did not originate in china either, nor did the tooling for the job, nor did the machinery...infact less 'china' element is involved in the intake than you may think. Try to remember though how 'important' buying american is next time your wife/girl tells you she's going to walmart, next time you need an Ipod or at Tv...DVD (player or just plain CD disc), next time you buy cloths, and yes replacemnt parts. Ahh and don't forget the ABSURD amount of work the big three send out of country every yr...your argument is relevent but not reasonable...saving a few hundred bucks is saving a few hundred bucks..and leaves you with money to buy more 'american/:)canadian parts. Final note...when you buy a PP product..you're helping our economy as much as if you bought an eddy intake.

It's an american company that had the shop in china produce the intake for them....very little currency is actually leaving the country as the production cost are quite low....the materials for the most part likely did not originate in china either, nor did the tooling for the job, nor did the machinery...infact less 'china' element is involved in the intake than you may think. Try to remember though how 'important' buying american is next time your wife/girl tells you she's going to walmart, next time you need an Ipod or at Tv...DVD (player or just plain CD disc), next time you buy cloths, and yes replacemnt parts. Ahh and don't forget the ABSURD amount of work the big three send out of country every yr...your argument is relevent but not reasonable...saving a few hundred bucks is saving a few hundred bucks..and leaves you with money to buy more 'american/:)canadian parts. Final note...when you buy a PP product..you're helping our economy as much as if you bought an eddy intake.

My point was more toward support the company that does the R&D to bring you new products because when you put them out of business, you don't get the typhoons. Being that I work at an mixed car dealership(1/3 american), I'm not preaching what you are trying to make me say. Save your few hundred bucks. But take a look at the people having problems with the knockoff Walbro pumps and the Flex-a-Lite fans. They have NO support. I guess I'd rather deal with the designer of the part who actually understands what they designed, not the one who copied someone else. I WOULD buy the Typhoon 4.6 manifold because they actually designed that one.

Perhaps you can tell me where I advocated buying american only? And for that matter, why no reply about if you designed a product only to have it cloned and reproduced for less than your cost?

You actually never did advocate 'american only' I may have oversteped there...sorry :). I wouldn't be surprised if Edelbrock didn't find some sort or revenue from PP producing the typhoon...either in assisting with the design, selling rights to the design or infact the tooling for the design of the intake. As far as knockoffs go...they can be found from most every region and be found in near every aspect of sold product....ethics and business are miles apart these days.