Profit Or Loss?

For example: Just the blower and gear drive hanging off the front of my engine is 10k. I have 4,500$ in just cylinder heads. Add the block, crank, billet rods, custom pistons etc. Factor is 1,400$ fuel injectors 1,000$ in a throttle body setup, Xfi with all of the upgrades and we are only scratching the surface. If I remember correctly the torque converter was 1400 some dollars not to mention the dedenbaer case powerglide. We haven't even stopped talking about the drive line yet. Where should I stop hahaha

Maybe If I could convince Charlie Sheen to take ONE night off of hookers and blow and give me that $$$ to invest into my fox I could have one like yours!! :pop:

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

For example: Just the blower and gear drive hanging off the front of my engine is 10k. I have 4,500$ in just cylinder heads. Add the block, crank, billet rods, custom pistons etc. Factor is 1,400$ fuel injectors 1,000$ in a throttle body setup, Xfi with all of the upgrades and we are only scratching the surface. If I remember correctly the torque converter was 1400 some dollars not to mention the dedenbaer case powerglide. We haven't even stopped talking about the drive line yet. Where should I stop hahaha

Oh no please, keep going. Im slowly starting to get it lol.

I couldn't possibly figure out how much i spent on my car in it's life. Luckily i choose good parts and get back a decent investment when i sell to change.
4 or 5 engines
3 sets of heads, a handful of cams
4 transmissions, original, original rebuild, t5Z, tko600
2 rear rebuilds, going on a 3rd soon (pays to do the rear right, my auburn has lasted with about 15 years of abuse)
Thousands of dollars in suspension parts
$1100 in torque box damage.
The cobra conversion probably cost me somewhere between 8 and 10 g's, not inculding the Tko600.

From one view you could say i'm insanely upside down.
BUT, i did daily drive it from like 93-01. If i had a lease or new car payment that would cost more.

I'm very much like Tim the tool man taylor, I if something sits in front of me long enough, i'm probably going to modify it. Now most of my money goes into my house.

But i've got a nice collection of parts for my saleen explorer, including my old extrude honed wedges that i reacquired.

Other than paint and put my PHB on, i kinda feel like i'm done with the mustang.

I added up the prices once, and I won't do it again. It's one of those things where I had to build the car in order to realize how much of a mistake it was.

Case in point, today on facebook I saw that BRAD BRAND is selling his racecar and all associated items so he can get out of racing and build a restomod C10 pickup truck. Do you know who Brad Brand is? That announcement was DRAMATIC, but I was thinking "yep, I feel ya brad." It's nonsense the kind of money these cars can eat up. 2 or 3 years ago, AFTER the car was already running, I went through a long period of time, maybe a year and a half, where I spent at least $1000 or more per month on my LX. Utter nonsense.

Reactions: 1 users
I added up the prices once, and I won't do it again. It's one of those things where I had to build the car in order to realize how much of a mistake it was.

Case in point, today on facebook I saw that BRAD BRAND is selling his racecar and all associated items so he can get out of racing and build a restomod C10 pickup truck. Do you know who Brad Brand is? That announcement was DRAMATIC, but I was thinking "yep, I feel ya brad." It's nonsense the kind of money these cars can eat up. 2 or 3 years ago, AFTER the car was already running, I went through a long period of time, maybe a year and a half, where I spent at least $1000 or more per month on my LX. Utter nonsense.

Seems to me I was just saying that very same thing in one of my anti-drag race rants a few months past.

I too had to build a "competitive" turbo charged, drag radial (5 teens at that time) before spending several hundred dollars every other weekend became too much. That, and standing around in a one piece -20 fire suit tied around my waist while the track temps hovered around the 140 degree mark, quickly convinced me that the whole thing was a dumb idea.

Reactions: 3 users

HOLY CRAP. Brad is getting out of racing?

Same old story. You see many guys do builds on cars and have trouble getting back 1/2. Even the morons who go to Barret Jackson or the other auctions are not paying up. By the time I am done wth my current one, I'll have around 15K in it and at best be able to get 8-10k. I'm not selling it so I really don't care and like to build cars to my taste, knowing the parts and quality of work that is in the car. That's why like you I bought a low mile, completely stock one.

Building these cars to drag race and up keeping them for that purpose it way more money than just doing a resto-mod and cruising it and getting on it once in a while. Being a race junkie lasts only so long and then you're tired of seeing so much money being eaten by it. I've never really drag raced at the track but I kind of get the jist of how it's an on going expense with no end until you sell and become a spectator or completely walk away. At least with a resto-mod type of build (for most people) there is a finish point and then the building expense is done and all the car should require is regular maintenance like any other A to B vehicle does.

drag racing whole other story i could only imagine,im fine with restoring and building a street strip car for under 20k that puts a smile on my face,if you can afford it,problem is when to draw the line!,you get used to the power rather quickly!

I think we're all more or less in agreement here... the problem for people like me is that speed is a drug. Really. We do the same irrational things crackheads do, all in the pursuit of MOAR POWAR. Even when we say we're over it, we're not over it. It's textbook addictive behavior.

...I started my new Fox project this week. LOL! :D

Reactions: 5 users
Do tell....:pop:

My dad ordered this '86 GT in 1985. I was with him when we picked it up on Jan 2nd 1986. This car is responsible for my career. It has been in storage for years, but now that my '89 is gone, I decided to bring the '86 out of retirement.

86parkdale_zps010448ed.jpg

My friend tore apart his Fox daily driver to build it into an NMRA Coyote Stock car, so I bought every piece he isn't using so I could install it all in the '86 to get it running again. Here are most of the parts:

86drivetrain_zps24eedb19.jpe

I also have a few good pieces left from Project Shocker which should make the '86 a lot more fun... but it will NOT be a racecar. I learned my lesson!

Reactions: 2 users
@Sharad You learned your lesson? Says the person who was Fox free for only a couple days and already planning and scheming another project. This is how it all starts, a little kiss, a little touch, only the tip, and then ......

Reactions: 1 users
I've been around this hobby for years.
Turning a fox into race is the death of it.
I've seen it so many times with nice cars i can actually picture the time lapse of these cars in my mind. Kinda depressing.

Race cars are for people who own or work at a shop and the wealthy. Helps too if you have some sponsors, which sucks because now you are selling your soul and putting decals on a car that clearly looks better without them.

It's nearly impossible to compete with people with unlimited skills and resources as a regular guy off the street. Eventually you are going to break something you can't afford to fix and that's when your car turns into a planter in your backyard (in your front yard if you live in the south).
Soon after it's being parted out on craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

I've been around this hobby for years.
Turning a fox into race is the death of it.
I've seen it so many times with nice cars i can actually picture the time lapse of these cars in my mind. Kinda depressing.

Race cars are for people who own or work at a shop and the wealthy. Helps too if you have some sponsors, which sucks because now you are selling your soul and putting decals on a car that clearly looks better without them.

It's nearly impossible to compete with people with unlimited skills and resources as a regular guy off the street. Eventually you are going to break something you can't afford to fix and that's when your car turns into a planter in your backyard (in your front yard if you live in the south).
Soon after it's being parted out on craigslist for pennies on the dollar.
I so very much wish this was BS. But for the most part. It's exactly the case. Everyone wants a badass race car, until they have one and then they just go ":poo:, wish I had that money"
I'm still on the wish I had a race car page but i already read ahead a bit and the regret has started, big time

And for the record, this thread is swaying me to sell off my car(s) and go-fast junk while it's apart and worth the most money.

Damn it.

everyone asks me when my cars getting a cage the answer is never . it's a street car not a race car . I want to have plenty of streetable power to enjoy and I think I am close now

And for the record, this thread is swaying me to sell off my car(s) and go-fast junk while it's apart and worth the most money.

Damn it.
And then do what exactly? Buy a vanilla 4 door sedan and become part of the mindless masses that do the same old/same old ever day for the rest of your life? These cars, be it a full blown drag car to a hot street car give us an outlet for our creative jucies, they give us some of the spice that is life. You take that away from me and you might as well put a round between my eyes and get it over with. I don't do the builds for the money or the lack thereof, I do it because it is who I am, it is what makes me tick, money be damned.

And then do what exactly? Buy a vanilla 4 door sedan and become part of the mindless masses that do the same old/same old ever day for the rest of your life? These cars, be it a full blown drag car to a hot street car give us an outlet for our creative jucies, they give us some of the spice that is life. You take that away from me and you might as well put a round between my eyes and get it over with. I don't do the builds for the money or the lack thereof, I do it because it is who I am, it is what makes me tick, money be damned.
And that's exactly why I can't. It wouldn't be 15 minutes until I was scheming my next car. I've tried giving it up, finding a new "hobby" or just anything.
I can't.
I'll never be sponsored, never drive NMRA, or come close to owning 1/100th of the cars I obsess over. But I'm too far gone.
Exactly like sharad said, I'm a freakin junkie. Constantly on my mind, constantly the "what's next". There's just a rush from driving a car that YOU built that scares the ever loving :poo: out of you that I'll never ever get over and I pity anyone who lives their entire life without feeling that.
My cars will all come and go but there will ALWAYS be a next one