The old nastiness:

P4190057.jpg

Current State:

P5100061.jpg

Old Tie Rod Arm:

P5100064.jpg

What will be going on:

P4190054.jpg

That one control arm bolt still won't budge, so I'll be needing what's under the spacers to take care of it (spacers are for sale btw - 1 3/8in H&R)

P5100072.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

with that control arm bolt you may need more than the sawsall to get throught the steel sleeve in the bushing. We had to torch mine off...

I'm armed with 6 blades specifically for heavy gauge metal...I'm hoping it will do the job. Another member was able to do it with a sawzall, it just took a bit of patience. I don't know how to use an oxy acetylene torch, so I figured I'd try the saw first

Duncan, I appreciate the JT friendly notation (how fitting since I'm the last dial-up user on SN).

I think I had once looked at the LCA situation and couldn't figure a decent way to get a cut-off disk on anything either. I hope the Sawzall works (S&2B's didn't seem to enjoy the task when he did it. His situation sounded really bad though, and his car is 10 years older).

The new parts look great. I really need to do the LCA's myself. I should have bought Don's when he sold them.

I had a feeling something good was coming when you noted the spacers were for sale. :D For the other guys, those would be a great fit for stockish wheels. You might not even need to touch the lugs for flush-backed wheels and they'd bring the wheels out just right.

Good luck with the new parts and the LCA Duncan!

I went through 4 blades trying to cut my bolt off and didn't make a dent in it... go get a cutoff wheel, borrow one, etc...

and contact the dealer now to get the new nuts/bolts... I had to buy all 4 and they are like $10 for each pair (1 nut, 1 bolt)....

Good luck...

I went through 4 blades trying to cut my bolt off and didn't make a dent in it... go get a cutoff wheel, borrow one, etc...

and contact the dealer now to get the new nuts/bolts... I had to buy all 4 and they are like $10 for each pair (1 nut, 1 bolt)....

Good luck...

Did you have to cut all four off? I can see why that wouldn't work with a sawsall. Do you remember what type of blades/unit you were using? I was told that these blades should cut through just about anything.

I'm going to make a stop before going out to grab a cut off wheel though, just in case. Fastenal also carries the bolts and nuts, for about 60% cheaper than ford (ridiculous prices)

Thanks for your help/advice man. I'll let you know how I make out today

Duncan

Our friend Chris was right...that bolt will not be getting cut off.

Next step is to remove the steering rack so I have a bit more room. I'll be trying to beat the bolt off a bit more, and when that fails, I'll have to learn how to use an oxy acetylene torch.

Chris, do you have any tips on this? Specifically, how to cut the right most segment (towards the rack) without hurting the K-member.