Progress Thread: 3G install / parts / pictures

• Sponsors (?)

dec322 said:
Thanks for this thread!! I've completed my 3g upgrade but have had problems with the 2g pulley fitting on the 3g alt (94 mustang). Finally I found a solution: FFI pulley. Thanks

Also, I still need to make the 4 gauge ground. Do you have any pics of the ground on the block. I know that one end attaches at the pigtail....but where do I need to attach on the block. Thanks again!
Glad to see this thread help you. :SNSign:

This the ground wire that I ran when I did mine.(1/0 Gauge) I ran it to the block where the factory battery ground goes and the other end where the EEC ground goes.
Like this.
75812.jpg

Hope this helps.

iwashmycar said:
i have forgotten and couldnt find it in this thread yet....

what cars have the 3G alternator in them....just the newer stangs?

what about the Taurus. They look similar, if not the same.

-adam
The only ones I have used were the 94-95 Mustang alternators. (3G). Not sure about the Taurus ones though.

04sleeper said:
Glad to see this thread help you. :SNSign:

This the ground wire that I ran when I did mine.(1/0 Gauge) I ran it to the block where the factory battery ground goes and the other end where the EEC ground goes.
Like this.
75812.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pic but I know that the ground starts there. Where does it end? You state that it is where the battery ground goes.....Should I just trace the negative wire from the battery and put the new ground there also?

You can run a ground wire from where the negative battery cable goes to the block,or from the empty 7/16" threaded hole on the stock drivers side head to one of the sway bar mounting bolts.

That`s a solid ground right to the frame.

Just to add my two cents, instead of a fussable link or an inline fuse, I bought a circuit breaker from a speaker store. It cost $25 but if it blows on the road I won't have to find a replacement fuse. Also, you can take the factory 4 gauge wire coming off of the taurus alt (if you get one from the yard) and use that, you have to cut the loom apart a little. Not my idea, read it off of Stangnet, thanks guys!

ChromdOutDubs said:
Im a noob, but whats the fuss over these 3G Alternators??? I see all kind of threads about them.... What sets them apart from any other aftermarket alts. Sorry for the noob-ish question but just wondering. Thanks

-AJ

No fuss,it`s just a big upgrade/improvement using factory parts,eg,a Ford 3g alternator usually 130amp or greater to replace the stock weak pos 75amp 2g alternator in fox Mustangs.

ChromdOutDubs said:
ahhhh, i see... Ok well since were are talkin about wiring and the sort, i just ripped off my dasha nd pulled a nuch of stuff out, and ripped out all the wiring that pertained to the ECU or w/e, but i left everything that was for the lights and stuff alone, i wanna test them and make sure they are all still in working order after all my cutting and stuff. When i was ripping down my engine bay i unhooked all the wires off the solonoid, i think thats what its called, the circular 2 post things with all the wires on the drivers side fender area, i was wondering if someone could take a pic of that for me so i know which wires go on what post so i can hook up my battery to make sure it all still works, thanks guys, sorry to thread jack.

-AJ
AJ, Me-thinks you're going to have some issues crop up. It's wise to analyze every system and evaluate all wiring before tearing into it.

I only posted to suggest that you delete your post and put it in a new thread (just cut and paste). That way Steve's thread doesnt go totally off-target and you'll get better help because the topics aren't intermingled.

Good luck.

srothfuss said:
This turned into a great thread... Let me get my camera and take a picture of the ground wire location on the engine side.

:D :D :D :D Thats what I like to hear!!

My FFI pulley will come in the mail Friday....I'll put it in and install the ground (after I see the pic) and my 3g install will be complete! Can't wait!!

Alrighty....

Mine is grounded right to the A/C bracket (next to the power steering.) You'll see a black wire loom running past the battery and infront of the PS resivour. This is where I have my extra ground.

ground1.JPG

ground2.JPG

dec322 said:
Thanks for this thread!! I've completed my 3g upgrade but have had problems with the 2g pulley fitting on the 3g alt (94 mustang). Finally I found a solution: FFI pulley. Thanks

Also, I still need to make the 4 gauge ground. Do you have any pics of the ground on the block. I know that one end attaches at the pigtail....but where do I need to attach on the block. Thanks again!
Who sells the FFI pulley? Thanks