Progress Threads And "tech"

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
If one's making a progress thread and shows a picture of something that one fabricated and another member wishes to ask a question on how the item in question was made, is a PM required? Or should the guy with the question create a thread in tech?

• Sponsors (?)

If one's making a progress thread and shows a picture of something that one fabricated and another member wishes to ask a question on how the item in question was made, is a PM required? Or should the guy with the question create a thread in tech?

I guess that'd depend on whether the guy asking the question could gain anything from the answer.

I'll stop now before it gets too silly. I sure hope for the moderators sake that there aren't too many new members coming in. They'll have to sleep in shifts to keep everything sorted out accordingly.

You don't have to stop on my account. It is your thread after all.
My point was if that "person" is still clueless as to what makes something tech, and what makes something talk, that they gotta make it such a big deal, especially after the definitions were spelled out in a previous thread, It wouldn't make any difference if the "person" PM'd the guy that started the progress thread, or asked the question in tech.

He'd still be at a loss when he got his answer.

I had "squirrel" something to say but "squirrel" their isn't "squirrel" really anything "squirrel" to say but "squirrel" I'll keep trying "squirrel" to say it "squirrel".
In all seriousness this topic has been beat to death. :dead:

• The decider of talk and tech
    image.jpg
It's not that I don't get what's "talk" or what's "tech." It's how one guy's irked for whatever reason about threads that can potentially be solved using one of the "check lists" or whatever being asked in the "talk" section and now everyone's like, "hey new guy that's not a talk/tech question!" "Psst, hey moderator, let's chastise and belittle this guy!" "How dare he ask that question here!?"
Haven't yall noticed the recent trend that when a new cat makes a faux pas or asks a question that people have been asking for 20+ years how everyone gang bangs them and treats them like a dumbazz? Mods included.
ie: Mobile Mechanic | Mustang Forums at StangNet
The 1st seven post are nothing but taddle tales and making fun of the guy. Very helpful and professional. That's a good example to set moderators.
Ps: what are we supposed to talk about in the talk section? Opinions on products and paint colors etc? As far as progress threads go, does one just reply, "wow, you're one helluva craftsman madmike"?

Last edited:
  • The decider of talk and tech
    image.jpg
It's not that I don't get what's "talk" or what's "tech." It's how one guy's irked for whatever reason about threads that can potentially be solved using one of the "check lists" or whatever being asked in the "talk" section and now everyone's like, "hey new guy that's not a talk/tech question!" "Psst, hey moderator, let's chastise and belittle this guy!" "How dare he ask that question here!?"
Haven't yall noticed the recent trend that when a new cat makes a faux pas or asks a question that people have been asking for 20+ years how everyone gang bangs them and treats them like a dumbazz? Mods included.
ie: Mobile Mechanic | Mustang Forums at StangNet
The 1st seven post are nothing but taddle tales and making fun of the guy. Very helpful and professional. That's a good example to set moderators.
Ps: what are we supposed to talk about in the talk section? Opinions on products and paint colors etc? As far as progress threads go, does one just reply, "wow, you're one helluva craftsman madmike"?

Alright.

For whatever reason you say you're getting it, yet you don't.
Separating talk and tech is not an endorsement to "jump on a new guy". It is what it is plain and simple....an attempt to keep tech the destination for questions that require help.

I'll put it this way.

You are at a gas station, and the guy next to you has green junk coming out from under his car. He's clueless and desperate and needs help. You being the good Samaritan that you are, step up to offer assistance. After talking with the guy for a minute, you determine that he's not capable of fixing the car himself.
There's an Express oil change, with several mechanics on staff one mile down the road, and a "Gearhead's forever" automotive themed, lemonade stand where a couple of your car guy buddies (who know a bunch of junk, and have a really awesome set of tools) work right in between.

So the analogy here is one place is tech,and he can get the problem solved. They have the "tech's, the capabilities, and can get the stuff dude needs to get back on the road.

The other place is talk, where they may, or may not be able to tell him what he needs. Given their automotive backgrounds, they may be able to tell him what is wrong, but they don't have the parts, don't have the facility, and they sure as hell aren't gonna crawl under his car to fix his problem.

Which place are you gonna send him to?

So today's lesson is simple: All I'm trying to do is send the people to the place where they are most likely to their problem solved.
There are several highly qualified folks that almost exclusively hang out on the tech side of this forum that almost never pop in on this side. If you want to be one of those guys,....more power to you, nobody' s stopping you.

Lastly what are we gonna talk about if we don't try to fix poor old new guys problems?
For Anyone Wanting To Compare Head Flow Here's A Chart | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Old Hat But A Decent Intake Shoot Out Read | Mustang Forums at StangNet

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...y-whatd-you-do-and-what-do-you-do-now.882734/

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...cent-read-on-an-03-street-strip-cobra.882563/

When The Fox Was New Who Was The Big Name In The Aftermarket? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Out Of Curiosity; For The H/c/i Guys W "old" Bottom-ends | Mustang Forums at StangNet

You'll manage.

A build/progress thread by design is a "look at what I've done" thread. The posting of updates and pics solicit several replies from the folks that look in on them. Some are simple one line attaboys, and others are more involved.
The comments that come from both the guy posting the update on the thread, and the respondents are far from "tech" most of the time. Since you want to use my thread as an example, tell me where anybody could get anything from the content in that thread, and apply what they might learn in practical everyday use?
Every bodies build threads get completely sidetracked, and even derailed occasionally, and for that reason, build threads are exactly where they need to be.

Lastly, I'm not endorsing flaming some new guy, matter of fact, just the opposite. All I can say about the thread you listed as an example, is that after I get the rule set posted, (that'll never get read anyway, cause nothing's ever gonna change) maybe the next guy will post a thread that better describes what he needs, and put it in the right damn place to get it.

Now,........Are we done here?

Last edited:
Alright.

For whatever reason you say you're getting it, yet you don't.
Separating talk and tech is not an endorsement to "jump on a new guy". It is what it is plain and simple....an attempt to keep tech the destination for questions that require help.

I'll put it this way.

You are at a gas station, and the guy next to you has green junk coming out from under his car. He's clueless and desperate and needs help. You being the good Samaritan that you are, step up to offer assistance. After talking with the guy for a minute, you determine that he's not capable of fixing the car himself.
There's an Express oil change, with several mechanics on staff one mile down the road, and a "Gearhead's forever" automotive themed, lemonade stand where a couple of your car guy buddies (who know a bunch of junk, and have a really awesome set of tools) work right in between.

So the analogy here is one place is tech,and he can get the problem solved. They have the "tech's, the capabilities, and can get the stuff dude needs to get back on the road.

The other place is talk, where they may, or may not be able to tell him what he needs. Given their automotive backgrounds, they may be able to tell him what is wrong, but they don't have the parts, don't have the facility, and they sure as hell aren't gonna crawl under his car to fix his problem.

Which place are you gonna send him to?

So today's lesson is simple: All I'm trying to do is send the people to the place where they are most likely to their problem solved.
There are several highly qualified folks that almost exclusively hang out on the tech side of this forum that almost never pop in on this side. If you want to be one of those guys,....more power to you, nobody' s stopping you.

Lastly what are we gonna talk about if we don't try to fix poor old new guys problems?
For Anyone Wanting To Compare Head Flow Here's A Chart | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Old Hat But A Decent Intake Shoot Out Read | Mustang Forums at StangNet

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...y-whatd-you-do-and-what-do-you-do-now.882734/

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...cent-read-on-an-03-street-strip-cobra.882563/

When The Fox Was New Who Was The Big Name In The Aftermarket? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

Out Of Curiosity; For The H/c/i Guys W "old" Bottom-ends | Mustang Forums at StangNet

You'll manage.

A build/progress thread by design is a "look at what I've done" thread. The posting of updates and pics solicit several replies from the folks that look in on them. Some are simple one line attaboys, and others are more involved.
The comments that come from both the guy posting the update on the thread, and the respondents are far from "tech" most of the time. Since you want to use my thread as an example, tell me where anybody could get anything from the content in that thread, and apply what they might learn in practical everyday use?
Every bodies build threads get completely sidetracked, and even derailed occasionally, and for that reason, build threads are exactly where they need to be.

Lastly, I'm not endorsing flaming some new guy, matter of fact, just the opposite. All I can say about the thread you listed as an example, is that after I get the rule set posted, (that'll never get read anyway, cause nothing's ever gonna change) maybe the next guy will post a thread that better describes what he needs, and put it in the right damn place to get it.

Now,........Are we done here?
Yeah we're done but in our case we have the same people working at the lemonade stand as we do the auto shop. So the same help should/could be the same no matter where it's asked it's just that those lurking around the lemonade stand don't wanna look at the green goo.